Warming back up, can be a dangerous time

I live in central Alberta, Canada and temp are up and down daily and weekly. Zero issues with frostbite...

Not sure where in Alberta you’re located, but I lived in Edmonton for several years and the air was so dry that frostbite was never really a concern.
Ontario on the other hand is so damp, frostbite can happen at any temperature and there isn’t much you can do about it.

I have small raised coops, under 25 square feet.
If temps stay below freezing l can scoop frozen poop daily and thoroughly clean every 2 weeks. (All bedding removed and replaced).
When temps go above freezing during the day, I thoroughly clean weekly. GC

Is anyone else experiencing rain inside their coop or shed? Mine has a high tin roof that is dripping all over the place because of the quick temperature shift.

Is anyone else experiencing rain inside their coop or shed? Mine has a high tin roof that is dripping all over the place because of the quick temperature shift.
Not yet but it will happen soon:
With the foot of snow of the north roof of coop, even with asphalt shingles, tar paper and 1x roof sheathing...this will happen:

Nothing dripping from my run roof yet, but the bedding in there is extremely damp. It is 38 here today, and 93% humidity. The chickens with frostbite are doing well though, and a few days above freezing are certainly going to be nice for them. I will probably have to put in fresh bedding in the run when the temps drop again, just to keep it from being a frozen mess. Current forecast is for temps on Monday, going from mid 30s to low single digits overnight into Tuesday. Minnesota..ugh.....

Has anyone ever tried any of the damp rid products in their coops? They are intended for use in closets, storage areas, campers, boats, etc? I have used them for years in my closets, a camper and a boat. They do a really nice job grabbing moisture from the air and containing it for easy disposal. You can get them scented or unscented. I have more moisture problems in my coop with summer humidity in my area, eastern NC. I have great ventilation in my coop and use a big fan in summer. Still I occasionally saw moisture beading up in certain areas. My coop has a feed storage area fenced from the birds living space. So I put one of the damp dry hangers near the feed bins and presto...no more moisture beads! :yesss:

Now again and I stress...my birds cannot at anytime get to this part of my coop. They would probably peck to get the crystals so you would need to be sure of this in your set up.

Costs locally here is about $7-8 for a 3 pack. They seem to be lasting 1-2 months each.
You can also buy the moisture absorbing crystals in a bag to add to one of the containers/with strainer they have probably cheaper than the ready to hang bags. They are available on Amazon but I buy them locally at a big box store. (wasn't sure I could post the name???)

https://damprid.com/products/

If anyone knows a reason why this is not a good idea...please let me know. Still learning.:oops:

I have learned so many helpful things on this site. Love it! Was just hoping I could help someone else out for a change.
Kathy

Back
Top Bottom