Warming back up, can be a dangerous time

Looks like a mini dehumidifier.
Wonder what that 'drop in tab' is made of..and how does it release the water collected?
I know those little bags can work well in a closet, but not much larger of a space.

As I keep saying,
you can't make it less humid inside the coop than it is outside the coop,
if you have adequate ventilation.

Running dehumidifer in a well ventilated coop,
especially if it full of damp bedding,
would be like trying to dry out the whole world.

Looks like a mini dehumidifier.
Wonder what that 'drop in tab' is made of..and how does it release the water collected?
I know those little bags can work well in a closet, but not much larger of a space.

As I keep saying,
you can't make it less humid inside the coop than it is outside the coop,
if you have adequate ventilation.

Running dehumidifer in a well ventilated coop,
especially if it full of damp bedding,
would be like trying to dry out the whole world.

I totally agree with what you are saying about "dehumidify the whole world".
I wasn't sure it would work myself but I tried it anyway.;)

I can just say I have seen a big difference in my 10 x 10 coop. I have one in there now. We have big temperature swings from fall into spring sometimes daily.

I used to put 2 in the larger camper trailer we had. One at each end. It was about 33 ft so a good size area and I always left windows open a bit. I never had moisture/mildew probs. I also kept one in my boat cabin that was sitting in the Pamlico River in hot/humid southern summers, so not only was it open, it was sitting in a LARGE body of water. Still worked great!

Now with that said...I do not know if it would work for anyone dealing with the types of cold and snow depth that some have to deal with. I have never lived in that climate. We do get snow sometimes a foot or so, but it does not usually lay around long, maybe a couple days at most. So far this year we've had none.:celebrate

Hope this reply is taken in the good hearted way it was intended!
'Cause I truely respect the advise from all the veteran chicken keepers here and have read many, many of your helpful, informative posts. :bow

Not sure about the product with the disk..haven't seen that one locally.

Kathy

I can just say I have seen a big difference in my 10 x 10 coop. I have one in there now. We have big temperature swings from fall into spring sometimes daily.
Have you measured that difference...seen a definite drop in humidity%??
NC knows humidity, that's for sure!

Not sure about the product with the disk..haven't seen that one locally.
So you are using the mesh bags?
How large of bags are you using?

Have you measured that difference...seen a definite drop in humidity%??
NC knows humidity, that's for sure!

Oh, yes..on the humidity here! It can be awful!

No, haven't thought about measuring the humidity in the coop before and after. Great suggestion! I do have one of those sensors in the coop and base inside the house so I can monitor temps. It also has a humidity reading. Don't know how accurate the humidity part is and have nothing to check it against. The temp reading is off about 3 degrees. I check that often, always reads 3 degrees higher than the 2 thermometers I check it against.
Now I'm curious. I may have to see if it makes a difference in total coop humidity.

I was sometimes seeing moisture on the outside of my feed bin and other areas. It is a very thick rubber bin shaped like a trash can, made to keep rodents out of animal feeds. I have the bag hanging near the bin. No matter the weather, I've not seen any beading of moisture since using them.

So you are using the mesh bags?
How large of bags are you using?

Yes, I am using the bags, but they are not mesh. I have only seen the bags in one size. They are about 9" x 14". Says it is 14 oz. of material inside. They have a thick paper compartment at the top that holds the crystals and a thick plastic sheeting compartment that contains the water absorbed from the air. The crystals disappear/dissolve as they remove moisture. The bags are not reusable.

The container with strainer is reusable. You just purchase the bag of crystals to refill the strainer part. The bottom catches the water. Just empty and reuse. I used two of this type in our 24' x 30' workshop/storage shed while I had some furniture/linens stored. Never had moisture probs in there either.

I will be switching to the container/reusable type soon in my coop. I just happened to already have a supply of the bags as I use them in a couple closets in my house. The bags are more convenient for me in closets because they have a hanger attached.

Hope this helps.

Sorry how that double posted. I'm still learning the ropes around here. I'm usually just here reading to learn.

I use damp rid in my bathrooms behind my toilet, it is amazing how much water they collet. We were adding humidity to the house in the winter, as it is so dry here.

Totally off topic, but what do you do about your windows in the house with that much humidity? I just got new windows, and would like to keep them nice, but even as dry as we are, they get moisture built up.

Mrs k

I use damp rid in my bathrooms behind my toilet, it is amazing how much water they collet. We were adding humidity to the house in the winter, as it is so dry here.

Totally off topic, but what do you do about your windows in the house with that much humidity? I just got new windows, and would like to keep them nice, but even as dry as we are, they get moisture built up.

Mrs k
Sorry, I don't have an answer for that unfortunately.:idunno
I hate the moisture that gets on our windows. We have vinyl thermal panes and I have a couple that moisture has gotten between the panes so now they are clouding up. We had this house built in 2000. I will be looking into new windows soon. Would rather do in when I can put all my plants outside, I have toooo many! LOL
Wish I could damp rid the windows! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom