Warmth without a heat lamp

coopscooper

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
I'm expecting 9 chicks next week for which I have a large plastic bin with a wire top. Since I plan to keep them in my house, I'm reluctant to use a heat lamp and would rather use a regular bulb. Has anyone heated their brooder this way, and if so, what wattages worked the best for you? Thanks!

60 watts will probably be plenty in a set up like you describe. Watch their behavior and you can tell if it is enough. I would have a 100 watt bulb for backup just in case. Remember, you can lower or raise the fixture as needed.

smile.png

Ditto!!

When I had my chicks in a tote inside I kept them in my small bathroom that stayed fairly warm. I used a 60ish watt bulb in one of those bendable lamps whose base is a clamp, that way I could bend it into the tote. Worked perfectly!! HOWEVER, I don't think normal (cheaper) bulbs last as long. My bulb burnt out one night and it just so happened to be a very cold night. Luckily my chicks made it though fine but they were very cold when I found them. Broke my heart and made me feel like a horrible chicken momma

Katie

Last edited:
Ditto!!

When I had my chicks in a tote inside I kept them in my small bathroom that stayed fairly warm. I used a 60ish watt bulb in one of those bendable lamps whose base is a clamp, that way I could bend it into the tote. Worked perfectly!! HOWEVER, I don't think normal (cheaper) bulbs last as long. My bulb burnt out one night and it just so happened to be a very cold night. Luckily my chicks made it though fine but they were very cold when I found them. Broke my heart and made me feel like a horrible chicken momma

Katie
hugs.gif
Don't beat yourself up. It must have been a faulty bulb.

I have 2 little 1.5 week old chicks in a small plastic brooder. I bought a 250 watt bulb for my heat lamp--thank goodness the base busted from the top as I screwed it in. It worked for about 15 seconds before it broke, and it got HOT immediately. It would have FRIED my brooder within minutes. I found a 40 watt vanity bathroom type bulb to put in the heat lamp, and it's keeping the brooder nice and warm at just over 90 degrees in the hottest zone. The metal of the heat lamp isn't hot enough to burn my hands, so I feel okay leaving it on and not burning down my house while I'm at work! The chicks are nice and comfy.

Thanks everybody! MyZ chicks arrived yesterday from mypetchicken.com and they are doing great! I found red 60-watt bulbs at Home Depot and the babies seem very happy.

Back
Top Bottom