WARNING: Cackle Hatchery

When I ordered from Cackle I opted for a heat pack and grogel. Both were in the package and the ducks were active and alert when they arrived.

That is my one and only experience ordering directly from any hatchery.

Things happen. Delays occur. It's unfortunate but it happens.
Literally millions of chicks are shipped every year. The vast majority arrive in good shape.

Personally I prefer the convenience of getting chicks from my local feed stores. Many here will add my chosen breeds to an existing order if they aren't getting what I want already.

Just saying there are options.

Let me enlighten you folks about the inner workings of the USPS.

My wife — who is in her 26th year as a rural route carrier — battles every single day fighting for you the customer. Furthermore, the management is severely lacking and often involves favoritism and find any way to cut corners to strip away any financial gain for your rural carriers. Her union is milk toast and promotes leadership that often favors corporate cronies. This doesn't help incentivize any healthy relationship for customer-carrier motivation. My wife's salary was cut $10K last year due to the lackluster union and those damn scanning devices. They count steps now.

I can tell you right now my wife goes out of her way to give any shipped fowl water, PERIOD. We have chickens. We don't do mail order for a reason.

Believe me, nobody wants to be a rural carrier. My wife's customers treat her like crap and blames all USPS' problems on her. She has worked her butt off six days a week for the last four months. Her postmaster can't seem to get his act together to find relief help and those who are currently working are quitting due to no scheduled days off — I am talking seven days a week here. Not to mention a relationship with one of the carriers. My wife is on his poop list for a reason.

I'll also mention she delivers packages from UPS, FedEx and DHL. These are the heavier packages weighing 70-plus pounds. Try delivering a mattress or 100 lbs. of dog food every day.

If you want to complain send all your frustrations, complaints to Louis DeJoy. He's your Post Master General and Executive Officer. "UnJoy" wants to eliminate your local post office. I am not kidding. Research his long-term plans. He wants a central hub where carriers have to drive more than 100 miles from their route, drive back, deliver your crap, drive back to the hub and then home. He is single handedly destroying and privatizing our nation's treasure — your local post office.

Good luck finding an email address or even DeJoy's address. There's a reason it's not posted.

BTW — I drove more than 250 miles to Cackle Hatchery to pick up my chicks in person. That's more than an eight-hour round trip from my location. That's the only way to be sure.

— Geo
He’s the reason sorting machines were removed from my home state (California) in a two for one effort, to try to slow down mail in ballots prior to the election, and to do to California what he plans for the whole nation, to make usps so slow and incompetent that private shipping companies, like his, are the the only option if you want something to actually arrive, someday.

I don't know about ducks, but I have never had a problem of any kind with receiving chicks through the mail. I have never lost a single chick. However, I do understand things can happen. The hatchery I order from has a 48 refund/replacement for dead chicks as well.

Let me enlighten you folks about the inner workings of the USPS.

My wife — who is in her 26th year as a rural route carrier — battles every single day fighting for you the customer. Furthermore, the management is severely lacking and often involves favoritism and find any way to cut corners to strip away any financial gain for your rural carriers. Her union is milk toast and promotes leadership that often favors corporate cronies. This doesn't help incentivize any healthy relationship for customer-carrier motivation. My wife's salary was cut $10K last year due to the lackluster union and those damn scanning devices. They count steps now.

I can tell you right now my wife goes out of her way to give any shipped fowl water, PERIOD. We have chickens. We don't do mail order for a reason.

Believe me, nobody wants to be a rural carrier. My wife's customers treat her like crap and blames all USPS' problems on her. She has worked her butt off six days a week for the last four months. Her postmaster can't seem to get his act together to find relief help and those who are currently working are quitting due to no scheduled days off — I am talking seven days a week here. Not to mention a relationship with one of the carriers. My wife is on his poop list for a reason.

I'll also mention she delivers packages from UPS, FedEx and DHL. These are the heavier packages weighing 70-plus pounds. Try delivering a mattress or 100 lbs. of dog food every day.

If you want to complain send all your frustrations, complaints to Louis DeJoy. He's your Post Master General and Executive Officer. "UnJoy" wants to eliminate your local post office. I am not kidding. Research his long-term plans. He wants a central hub where carriers have to drive more than 100 miles from their route, drive back, deliver your crap, drive back to the hub and then home. He is single handedly destroying and privatizing our nation's treasure — your local post office.

Good luck finding an email address or even DeJoy's address. There's a reason it's not posted.

BTW — I drove more than 250 miles to Cackle Hatchery to pick up my chicks in person. That's more than an eight-hour round trip from my location. That's the only way to be sure.

— Geo
dude, this is completely random, but I was at an after school event at my little brother's school, and while we were waiting at the door, somebody's dad got into an argument with a lady in a postal worker uniform about a delayed Christmas gift. he went on for a while ranting about how Christmas was ruined because of UPS, and it was all her fault, blah blah blah............... then she just looked at him and went "can you read......? I work for FedEx!"

I'm fully aware USPS is an issue, and we have a lot to tackle in that department.

However, if like you said, the USPS shipping issue is long standing, then the hatcheries are 100% guilty for wittingly shipping out chicks without sustenance knowing they have a high likelihood of not arriving on time. If they can afford to feed the animals after they hatch, then they can afford to feed and water them in shipment. They also should not be allowing shipment during cold seasons. Again, they are abusing the situation just as much as USPS and as long as people keep passing the blame, it's going to keep happening.
I highly disagree the only shipping deaths I've had were for orders last may and august.i have had lots of december,February and March orders that thrive from assorted hatcheries ,including meyers,cackle and Ideal.
Today in south Louisiana our heat index was over 100,temp was 92,humidity is 80%.. its brutal. Winter with the heat packs they arrive healthy..summer they arrive stressed and dying. I will never again order except in winter and very early spring.

Back
Top Bottom