Warning! Do not use cocoa hulls!

leight54

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Southwest New Hampshire
Sad story:

My daughter's neighbors used cocoa hull mulch in their landscaping. My daughter's ducks strayed over there, and apparently helped themselves. Now, after suffering tremors and seizures, they are ALL dead. 13 of them, that she'd raised from babies, and knew by name.

PLEASE spread the word NOT to use cocoa hulls in your garden or in your coops. I don't know if they're toxic to chickens as well as ducks, but I sure wouldn't take a chance.

Sad story:

My daughter's neighbors used cocoa hull mulch in their landscaping. My daughter's ducks strayed over there, and apparently helped themselves. Now, after suffering tremors and seizures, they are ALL dead. 13 of them, that she'd raised from babies, and knew by name.

PLEASE spread the word NOT to use cocoa hulls in your garden or in your coops. I don't know if they're toxic to chickens as well as ducks, but I sure wouldn't take a chance.

Did anyone bother to ask the neighbors what else is in the yard? Did they spray grass/weed killer before/during/after laying the mulch, being that grass/weed killers are extremely dangerous to fish and waterfowl? Do they have rat/mouse poison out in their yard?

Your blanket statement is meaningless when all the *facts* are not known. It's almost chicken little-like.

Cocoa hull mulch is a by product of the cocoa making process and can still carry remnants of cocoa/chocolate. It has been on the warning list for dog owners for a long time for this very reason. I used it the first year I moved onto my farm and when one of my horse boarders, who is a veterinarian, told me about the issues with toxicity, I quickly dug it all up and got rid of it.

I'm so, so sorry about the loss of your daughter's flock ~ I can't even imagine how devastating that must be. Hugs to her and thank you for your warning!

How awful :( Consider cocoa hull much permanently banned here, thank you for passing on the info to help us learn from this tragedy.

Last edited:
I believe chocolate is on the no-no list for many animals. Cocoa hulls are the shells of cocoa beans, hence chocolate. I wouldn't use them. They look nice, smell nice, but also attract ants.
Readily available where I live as we have 3 major chocolate companies within 15 miles of me, Hershey, Mars, and Wilbur (con-scrap, I think.)
A chocolate lovers dream, but not for animals.

To Ignatz: It was definitely the cocoa hulls. The cocoa hulls were visible in the ducks' feces, which were very bloody. The 2 roosters that always hang out with the ducks are now sick. My "meaningless blanket statement" was actually more of an attention getting subject line, but is backed up by facts.

To Everybody Else: Thank you for your kind thoughts. My daughter is pretty devastated by her loss.

Just wanted to say that I'm very sorry for your daughter's loss. I hope the roos make it through and that your daughter is able to start over with some new ducks in the future.

Back
Top Bottom