Warning****fire hazzard****

mstricer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Ohio
I have my 3 week old Amerucanna and Olive Eggers and some CX's in my attached garage. I went to work and left heat lamps on When I came home the lamp was laying in bottom of pen and chicks in corner. Smoke and burned smell everywhere. What had happen was I did't do the double secure with zip ties. The zip ties still in bag on top of crate. Could have lost everything we own. Dogs, cats and our house. Luckily everyone made it. Whole house sure stinks. So please take warning since this is spring time, take the second look to make sure lamps are secure.
Have a wonderful spring!!!!!

People get hung up on brooder lights. Most of us don't need the 250 watt lights. You can use 150 watt outdoor flood/spot lights that are safer and sturdier . Use two in an outdoor fixture and you have 300 watts with the added feature , if one goes out you still have heat from the other.

Never, ever, ever attached a heat lamp with anything plastic. Always, always, use either metal chain or sturdy wire. Heat lamps don't cause fires, using them wrong does. I am completely paranoid about heat lamps and have never had a fire. My DH, bless him, wasn't paying attention when he set one of the heat lamps for his lizards aside and shattered the glass on a LARGE terrarium when the hot bulb heated the glass at one spot. No one was hurt, not even the lizard, but it cost $100 and lots of time clean up time to replace the terrarium.

You are so lucky you caught it in time. What a scarey experience, but it could have been so much worse. After reading your post, I am so glad I spent the money for the ecoglow brooder that is only 18 watts and not very hot. I am PETRIFIED of fire.

Be careful how you use a heat lamp PLEASE! My whole coop caught fire and I lost 4 of my 7 chickens! It was terrible. I forgot what me and my dad did but we think it might've been something else, or the lamp. But now I have a brand spanking new copp with the 3 chickens that made it and 16 chicks. For the chicks I have a 250 watt bulb in a 350 watt shield thing the bulb goes in (I forgot what you call those.) but any way, please be careful

I'm so glad that you caught that before it got worse. Your poor chicks must have been terrified.

As for your heat lamp, make sure you have a shield on it, so that the bulb has less of a chance to come in contact with combustible material. I agree that you shouldn't use plastic; chains are good, standard-gauge wire works. I'm glad the only bad thing in the end was the smell.
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom