WARNING...Graphic Pic, Unhatched chick (Question)

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
This little guy still had not pipped by Day 25. The night before when I took the hatched chicks out to put into the brooder I quickly candled this egg and two others that hadn't pipped. Two were gone but this one was barely moving but I could see a heartbeat. So I put him back and waited 24 hours more. Candled again and he was gone. Before burying him in my garden, curiosity got the better of me and I decided to open it and see what had happened. He looks fully developed except his insides are on the out side. This is my first time hatching and the LG bator gave me fits. Could temp & humidity fluctuations cause this or is it just a failure to develop?

34566_unhatched.jpg

On a happier note, the other 8 are happily trashing my bathtub!

34566_unhatched-2.jpg

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor baby!!!! I had 2 of those recently...my LG dropped and i couldnt go fix the temp...I was sick...but I dont want to put the pictures up...breaks my heart...but dulipicate to yours.

I had almost the same thing happen with my LG. When we opened the egg the chick was fully developed but had not yet absorbed the yolk sac.

I do remember my temp dropping once, but I fixed it right away. Did you use the auto turner with it?

sad.png
I was so sad to see this because it was the only egg that fully developed out of my batch.

Temp fluctuation is why I threw out my LG. I lost almost 2 dozen polish chicks because of it. I have a 1588 that I use now. Temp and humidity can cause weird things to happen in chick developement.

I have had same with LG... quit using it and got better one!!! Too much sadness

Back
Top Bottom