Warning - Graphic pics of Internal Egg Layer Necropsy

Wow - I am so sorry for your loss. I have to agree that they don't look like eggs - not with the veins. We lost a hen last year to egg peritonitis. Took her to the vet hoping surgery would help but she died on the table. The vet said that all the eggs were being deposited in the abdomen instead and they were all yolks and hard like cement. The only sign we noticed was she excreted the whites and was always dripping. She ate and drank just like normal which is why we were hoping she could be saved. The vet also said that she had barely any meat on her bones; she was large because her abdomen was so distended.

...Seems most internal laying deaths happen at about two to three years old.

That depends entirely on the breed etc. but in general you need to be aware that if your birds (ANY breed) especially high production ones (or those encouraged thru lighting management to keep laying and not take a "break") are not allowed a full break with a full molt (which , simplisticly put will have the effect of "regenerating" the reproductive organs) then in my opinion you can expect severe reproductive problems in the second to fourth year. This is why I let each of my birds (silkies) brood, hatch and care for their chickies (and give supplements during that period) at least once a year or once every year and half > they stop laying for four months and molt.​

What is interesting is that when you look at the yolks lined up, ready to be coated with shell inside a hen, they do appear as balls on a string, sort of. What Old Rebel posted looks like those, just grossly enlarged. In both cases, the adenocarcinoma and internal laying, the hens would lose lots of weight and act similarly.

I don't think we're looking at a cancerous process, but I do think Unicorn's suggestions are great.

I think cystic ova, which unicorn mentioned, is what we are talking about. In other words, not a malignancy, but a "benign" growth or growths. Though as it multiplied so hugely it can hardly be called benign! Rather a malign, but non-cancerous series of cystic (fluid-filled) growths.

Got out on old human anatomy/pathology textbook - I'm a nurse - and found a very similar picture, so I think Unicorn is likely quite correct. This would also explain why this looks so diff than what others report with internal layers.

Three cheers for the scientific mind that allows us to love our birds and still want to know what's what. Thank you for sharing these incredible, interesting photos, all.

The body, human or avian, is a never ending source of mystery, knowledge and amazement.

Last edited:
I've seen internal layers necropsied and this is definitely different. The veins indicate that the yolks (or cysts) have not actually been ovulated. In internal layers the yolks are ovulated and end up in the body cavity instead of going through the oviduct and out. This causes a severe peritonitis and inflammatory process. Not sure what this is, but it would be very interesting to have had pathology done on it.

...when I have time I will go through my links and dig around thru the cornell photos ... Ill post the link when I find it.
adenocarcinoma is often not "seen" but will show up in a full necropsy

Holy crow, that's insane! It looks like her yolks never broke off the folicle, and instead just kept growing on her ovary. Gosh, thanks for the pics though! Very interesting... and so sorry for your loss! In her death others learn.

Quote:
That depends entirely on the breed etc. but in general you need to be aware that if your birds (ANY breed) especially high production ones (or those encouraged thru lighting management to keep laying and not take a "break") are not allowed a full break with a full molt (which , simplisticly put will have the effect of "regenerating" the reproductive organs) then in my opinion you can expect severe reproductive problems in the second to fourth year. This is why I let each of my birds (silkies) brood, hatch and care for their chickies (and give supplements during that period) at least once a year or once every year and half > they stop laying for four months and molt.

Diana, mine didn't have supplemental lighting at all. I believe they were simply high production hatchery hens with no natural brooding tendencies. It's programmed into them and there is nothing you can do about it. Mine do not even stop laying very long when they molt, either. I do believe that hens who brood chicks and get a break are much better off. That said, you cannot make them brood nor make them stop laying, other than that cruel practice of forcing a molt. This is the main reason that I will not have any more hatchery type hens. Not all that begin internal laying are hatchery birds, but a large percentage of them are; plus, the natural brooding tendencies are more prevalent with more carefully bred birds, IMO.

cyn, I have followed your troubles in regard to this (((hugs))) and my comment (outside the specific reference to the age) was put out there as general information as I see so many members applying the lighting practice to keep their hens laying and then later on posting of reproductive problems.... plus, if you read the articles and see just how many different factors can be responsible (and it is often a combination of things) I felt it important to post the link to all the articles so ppl could read up and be aware and informed... prevention (where possible > and this includes being informed) is better than cure.

Back
Top Bottom