Warning-poop picture! What is this?

Sophie442

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 20, 2014
Soooooooo, I decided to get change out my flock, sold the others and got 14 18 week old Isa Browns. I'm picky about my chickens food and care. Well, I don't know what my problem was, but I didn't ask questions when getting these.
First, they came debeaked. I have NOT been in contact with a hen that has had this and I was shocked. Some of them have been cut back way to far, IMO. Anyway, I told the place I got them what I thought about that. They didn't realize this place did this either, so they couldn't have warned me.
Second. As soon as I picked them up one pooped and it had blood in it. I mentioned it and she told me to watch them. I was guessing it was the stress. Well, today I found this weird stuff in her poo. (pic) Also, I have seen several hens do a gagging thing. Like stretch her neck out, open her mouth and do like a gag thing. No noise. I called and the lady thought it could be Gape Worm, Crop or Respiratory Infection. If I treat with antibiotic and they start laying, I have to throw away the eggs for 2 weeks. She also wants me to swap their throat for the worms and feel where their food goes to make sure it's not hard. Seriously??? I JUST GOT THESE AND I'M HAVING TO DO ALL OF THIS???? And she is NOT giving me the antibiotic, either. She is VERY sweet and has been helpful, but I'm frustrated with the time and effort that I'm having to put into them.

These chickens OBVIOUSLY have come from a hatchery that they were enclosed with too many other chickens and have no idea how to scratch, roost, go outside in the morning, etc. Well, they are learning to roost and tonight has been the first in 5 days that they came outside ON THEIR OWN.

Anyway, what do you think about these pics? Is there a natural way to treat these birds?

And tonight when they came out they kept running around, puffing out their neck feathers like they were going attack each other, then stop and they start scratching the ground or whatever. Then take off and act like that again. I have never seen this kind of behavior, but I'm wondering if they're just discovering their world.
Thanks,
Sonya

I'm going to try to attach a picture.

Sorry you're having such a difficult time with our new birds. I'm a fairly new chicken owner so I'm not the most knowledgeable, but the bloody poop makes me think they may have coccidiosis. Our birds also had it and had some droppings that looked similar. We treated it with Corid, which you can usually get at the farm store and mix with their water. Not sure about the neck stretching. I've heard that doing it every once in a while is normal but if they're doing it a lot it could be related to a number of issues.

Sorry again that you're dealing with issues with your new chickens. You may want to ask for a refund or for the seller to reimburse you for the cost of any medications.

Good luck...hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in!

Thank you! I am baffled by the gagging looking thing. I am currently treating them for respiratory even though they are eating, drinking and appear healthy w no wheezing. I took a video of it but I can't get it to upload here. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I've never seen this and I e had 2 other fllocks??!!

The picture is hard to tell, but it was the size of worms, but not worms.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=41e273fe34a515eb96462ca0505c9a5f;topic=17568.0

Check out this website and it shows you what kind off poop is normal. When i got my chicks their poos looked like this.

Now i was worried but i took a look at that website and apparently it is in the normal range and i think it is stress as well.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom