Warning: rant.

I'm not anti school. I am a former school system employee - interpreter for the deaf. My children went to school when they were younger and homeschooled later. I've often wished they'd never gone to school, just to see if it would have made an improvement with what problems we did have.

I'm one of those lousy parents who refused to play school at home when I 'homeschooled' our four children. We followed no curriculum, took no tests - heck, who cared if they graduated or went to college. The youngest is now 29 and the oldest 34 - the sky is not falling. They read, write and can make intelligent decisions about higher education and employment.

They always had friends - few their own age. Schooled teens would ignore them because they couldn't join in the gossip about what was going on at school. They had no idea how to communicate with someone outside of their norm. Whereas, our kids could talk with people of any age, about a variety of subjects. Heaven forbid, they didn't think it was strange that they talked to their parents about what most teens considered taboo.

In the program, the homeschooled child noting that they liked having kids to play with just hadn't realized that their ability to play would be hindered by the structure of school. It would have grown old in a short time.

As far as homeschooled children testing at grade level or below grade level, perhaps they just don't know how or want to do tricks or jump through hoops when told. I've never been able to score well on tests and once when placed in a lower reading group than my abilities, I just shut down.

But right now, I'm thinking about one boy in particular - and I will admit there aren't many like him.

When he was in my son's scout troop, the leader complained that he didn't know how to write - only print. How was he going to complete in society? Tsk tsk, poor homeschooled child.

Another time, his mother was ill and decided to put him in school (6th grade). He left the math section of the test blank, they assumed he couldn't do it and placed him in special ed. That teacher was told he could neither add, subtract, multiply or divide.

Later that afternoon, the special ed teacher called the office to ask about the placement. "He is so far behind he left the math section blank."

She replied: "Then why am I watching him create a computer program to calculate the time it would take for him to get to the moon and back, based on how long it took him to walk the playground?"

When asked why he left the math section blank, he explained that he assumed since it was so basic it was a test for a younger child.

The kid lasted a week in school. The principal called in the mother and told her he'd never met anyone like him, to take him home before he was ruined by school. Today he has his PhD in atmospheric physics from Mich. Univeristy of Technology.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that truly homeschooled and unschooled kids might test lower because they don't know how to take a test, not because they are lacking in education. Not all homeschooled parents homeschooled to create the WunderKind. Most homeschooled children are not socially deprived.

I agree with ole-crone (lol at that name) about the kids on the show tiring of "regular" school quickly. Most kids who are homeschooled think, at some point or another, that going to regular school sounds like a lot of fun. After all, who wouldn't like to get to hang out and play with all those other kids? When the reality of how things really work sets in however, school doesn't usually sound so great. My kids probably wouldn't test at or above their grade level in everything. Heck, I don't know that they would even understand how to take a test or what that means. I have no doubt though, that in the fullness of time, they will learn everything they need to know to be able to make sound decisions about their lives, education, jobs, etc. Comparing grade levels with kids who have never been given a grade is pretty useless, imo. I'd much rather compare their ability to get along in the real world.

Quote:
Well, you've just insulted me pretty thoroughly, but I'm not about to flame you over it. That's a bit immature. Yup, you guessed it, I'm a public school teacher (and so are some of the other members on BYC).

I'm sorry that you suffered under teachers who had no sense of how to plan lessons, assess, or how to manage a classroom. I can guarantee you that not all public school teachers are like that.

From some of these homeschool stories, it seems like "not all" homeschool kids get a stellar education either.

Some of the things my colleagues and I do to go out of my way for kids who aren't even ours...

- we buy them winter coats when their parents can't afford them
- we buy them notebooks and pencils and other supplies with our own money (and only $200 is ever reimbursed by the government)
- we put on school dances and events that take away from our weekends and evenings
- we help kids fill out college applications
- we teach immigrant children how to read and write in English (and children of refugees how to use things like stoves and toilets!)
- we tutor
- we take the kids to Planned Parenthood, to Broadway shows, and to the lake (which many have never seen) to get help and to broaden their horizons
- we attend special trainings over the summer and graduate classes in the evening to learn the latest about teaching and learning
- we walk with our student-athletes on Parents' Night and Senior Night when their moms and dads are too busy working to attend the game
- we spend money on fundraisers so the soccer team can have uniforms and the seniors can go on a senior trip

I totally respect all teachers -- whether they are certified or parents -- who want kids to learn and go above and beyond to make that happen. Unfortunately, there bad apples everywhere.

Here's a fun thread.

ONC, don't let idiots bother you about homeschooling. Anyone who matters
already knows that in most, not all cases, that homeschooled children excel
over those coming out of our public institutions.

Dang I wish I had more time to respond to this one...

I don't have anything AGAINST the teachers themselves...but the public school system is a whole other story.

PC:
hugs.gif
Please come back and reply when you get time. I'm itching to see your response.

Quote:
Planned Parenthood? Yeah, no thank you.
sickbyc.gif

Yeah, I saw that too. That's not something that should even be mentioned on BYC.
I'm sure she meant she takes them there for counseling and potentially birth control
since there parents won't take them.

Unfortunately, one of the biggest problems with public schools is bad parents expecting
the schools to raise their children for them. There are plenty of wonderful teachers out
there who try and help but can only do so much.

Back
Top Bottom