Warning: rant.

I homeschooled my son through high school through a charter program and it was WONDERFUL. After he started all his friends joined and all the parents, all the kids were much happier. No more bullies, no more less than adequate teachers, no more rude comments from school staff. They hung out with each other, did homework together, and had a much better sense of self. Homeschooling is not a pariah that some think it is.

Sorry Kimmie, u rock! Don't let it bug you too much! You're one of the most social people i know
wink.png
And my sig line doesn't lie
tongue.png

Quote:
I'm homeschooled too. And I am mad that some people think we are deprived of social interaction. Why would our parents let that happen to us? I go to two homeschool co-ops (a little stressful but I manage). And I don't really like Wife Swap, it seems too staged.

You know I always behave myself very well on BYC and never start trouble.

But I was tempted once to start a thread and title it "Rant Against Homeschooling". I thought it would attract lots of attention and get people all heated up and wanting to read the thread - BUT I was going to fool everybody by saying "hey, no fair that public school students don't get special attention, special trips, special interesting research assignments, special tutoring by professionals in fields, and teachers that love them. Why should public school kids be stuck with thirty morons every day and teachers who could care less if the quiet kids got attention or learned anything. Homeschooled kids have all the luck!

I went to public schools and hated them. Since homeschooling has become more popular, I often wished I could have been one of the priviledged few that get to be homeschooled!

Granddaughter is just into her second year home-schooling (4th grader) and still has her complaints concerning no other kids around. When I have her be more specific its about playing with kids on recess and the fact that alllllllll the attention is on her (who knows 4x4? Anyone? Oh yeah, no one here to answer but Gemma) But, she likes that we can skip ahead, or hang around a subject, or jump from one to another (Jimmy has two rocket ships....ooh, rocket ships, lets look that up), stop when tired, keep going when really interesting. And because of home schooling she is in 4H and Awanas and field trips and home school fair with other home schoolers and yes she has made friends in all of these areas plus a few of her old classmates from public school. Her life is full of real knowledge, real fun, and not wasted by the have tos of public school. And there is a lot of wasted time in p.s.; I know because I volunteered and worked there the entire time dgd was enrolled. I have to say I love her being home schooled and most of the time she does too.
wee.gif

My experience as a special needs teacher with home schooled students: When our school receives a home schooled student, it's usually because they want to take drivers ed. That student must be tested by one of the LD teachers to find what level they're working at. We have never had a home schooled student test at or above their grade level. For the socialization part... I think it depends on if the family attends church or other community activities with their children.

Back
Top Bottom