WARNING Tractor Supply Ships Dead Chicks

barred2rock

Crowing
Mar 4, 2017
San De Cristo Range - Colorado Rockies
Not only does Tractor Supply send dead chicks, they will not post honest unfavorable reviews on their website.

The following is a review I posted under Barred Rock chicks:

"Dead chicks!
I ordered 10 (one order) Barred Rocks, 3 arrived DOA, one was slightly moving but not in good shape, the rest appeared dead until removing them from the box. Within about 12 hours 5 more had dead, of the 11 shipped only 3 have survived. But they only survived because I hand watered them with Probiotics & Electrolytes. Left to their own devices, they all would have dead in the spot they were left. Fortunately, the remaining three survivors appear to being doing well five days later. I would highly recommend against ordering any chicks of any breed from Tractor Supply. If you have no other option, go get them in store".

Tractor Supply email response:

"Your review has been moderated

It cannot be published to the website, but..

Barred2Rock,

Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!"

So, apparently their "website guidelines" are to only post "reviews" that show them in a good light.

I will not order from nor shop at Tractor Supply again! As far as I'm concerned they're liars & a scam!

Just to let you know, Tractor Supply did not ship those chicks, whatever hatchery they order from did. If you're going to be mad at anyone, be mad at the hatchery. And most have a live chick guarantee, so I'd be contacting them for a refund. As to why they didn't publish the review, I can't tell you. Maybe because it was based on things out of their control, since they don't control how the chicks are shipped.

This isn't a really great time of year to be ordering small chick orders, they need each others' warmth to survive the journey even in warmer months and especially this time of year. They died in transit on the way because of the cold and the weather conditions, they weren't shipped out to you already dead.

I am sorry they died though :hugs

Last edited:
Just to let you know, Tractor Supply did not ship those chicks, whatever hatchery they order from did. As to why they didn't publish the review, I can't tell you. Maybe because it was based on things out of their control, since they don't control how the chicks are shipped.

This isn't a really great time of year to be ordering small chick orders, especially this week with the huge storm that just rolled through. They died in transit on the way because of the cold and the weather conditions, they weren't shipped out to you already dead.

I am sorry they died though :hugs

I understand that they don't ship chicks, but they refuse to take responsibility for the hatchery they have chosen and to be honest with their customers. There's not a single negative review on their site. I am not the only one that this has occurred to.

I understand that they don't ship chicks, but they refuse to take responsibility for the hatchery they have chosen and to be honest with their customers. There's not a single negative review on their site. I am not the only one that this has occurred to.

I do agree that it's irresponsible for the hatchery to allow such small orders of chicks to ship this time of year, and Tractor Supply shouldn't be allowing that through their site either. Checking around the website on the other breeds of chicks, it does seem people have successfully posted negative reviews regarding the same thing that happened to you, so again I can't say why yours in particular wasn't accepted.

The reviews also say Hoover Hatchery was refunding the chicks, so I definitely would get into contact with them. Edit, after looking through your other thread it seems that you did get in contact with them and they have agreed to refund you.

It seems a lot of the negative reviews are also from people who ordered just ten chicks this time of year and were posted in the last week or so during the cold weather. It's just not a great time to order so few chicks. Unfortunately they just can't deal with the cold and if at any point the post office mishandles them or leaves them out in the cold etc it's pretty much a guaranteed death sentence, and that's something the hatchery can't control. Personally I would never order so few chicks this time of year, me being in a northern state that's still freezing.

Last edited:
Did you open the box at Tractor Supply for them to see? Or take the dead chicks back to them?

Tractor Supply does not have it's own hatchery, nor do they ship chicks... they can't control what they receive from another or the condition in how it arrives...

Last edited:
To special order at the store it is minimum of 25. On the website it is 10.

Common sense says when temps get this cold at night that chicks won't make it. It is not TSC fault, they were literally the middle man.

The hatchery they came from with make it right if you contact them usually in 48 hours.

This sort of thing happens even when 100 are ordered...these are love animals and while most times everything works out ok...sometimes it doesn't. I know I lost 10 chicks out of 25 just recently

Back
Top Bottom