1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WARNING- westinghouse red brooder bulbs sold at Tractor Supply have a non-stick coating (Teflon?) ac

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jseitz, Jan 22, 2013.

1. jseitz

jseitz New Egg

Dec 18, 2012
    Sometimes the coated bulbs will say:
    "Shatter proof" or "explosion proof"
    Sylvania (sp?) bulbs (125wt) from Lowes are OK- as well as Havells

2. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a 100w reptile bulb you can purchase at any pet store. My brooder is in a room that is 70 degrees,so I don't know if it will work good at colder temps.

3. danideer

danideer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2013
    West Michigan
    Does anyone know if the General Electric brand 250 watt heat lamps are safe? It says nothing on the package about having a Teflon coating or "shatter proof" or anything. On the back it says "Commercial applications include warming food, heating floor tile and farm uses".

4. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I'm using a reptile bulb in a reptile lamp that has a dimmer switch on it for easy temperature control, rather than lifting the lamp. I've had reptiles for a while now {am new to chicks} and we've never had a problem with the bulbs.

5. danideer

Mar 26, 2013
    West Michigan

What brand is this bulb, out of curiosity?

6. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    We usually buy the Exo Terra brand, but have used others too. The stores carry black and red night time bulbs too.

7. mcsmith

mcsmith New Egg

May 15, 2012
    I've used the same bulbs from TSC for the past month without a problem.

8. danideer

Mar 26, 2013
    West Michigan
    Happy to hear that! However I'm going to be playing it safe rather than sorry...I'm just so new to this and I'm terrified of doing something wrong. [​IMG]

9. LovedMyAlydar

LovedMyAlydar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Kentucky
    I have used the Producers Pride from TSC and it says it's for animal habitats. It also says it's made in China, go figure.

Since I have not had any problems thus far using the bulb for almost 3 weeks, the coating should have burned the fumes off by now from what I have read above.

10. JustinVero

JustinVero Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    I also have used the TSC bulbs without incident. I will still check them before I use them with my next batch of chicks that are in the bator now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by