**Warning*** yucky graphic pics! Good news! Update on Page 11!!!!!!

It looks similar to the respitory infection my roosters had earlier this year(when I screwed up and didn't quarantine new birds
he.gif
). Mine weren't nearly that bad, but they were still wheezing and slimy looking. They cleared right up with a few shots of Tylan 50.

-Kim

Yes I agree, I would put him inside in a dark cool room and start the meds asap!!! I think you can get it a TSC if not there try your local feed and seed.

Edited to add: weither it be a sinus infection or something else I would use the Tylan-50. I think this is the best to use.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Just judging from the photographs it would appear he may have a nasty bacterial infection from the salmonella virus, suggest you isolate him immediately so the infection does not spread, and he is not attacked any further, it can cause blindess and ulcers. Would suggest antibiotics for him from the vet.

Can you post any more pics if it has developed further?

Good luck - English Chick

Yes, it is cattle and pig antibiotic. I can find it in the livestock medication aisle. You'll need to buy some syringes as well, because it is an injectible antibiotic.

I was told to give it in the breast of the bird. Make sure to get the muscle and not anything else. Someone else on here should be able to give better directions, I don't feel comfortable giving them myself.

It is important that you change any waterers that the bird had access too, because from what I have been told the infection can spread when he gets the mucous into the water and other birds drink it. That's what I have been told anyway. So I would go and collect all your waterers and wash them with some water, bleach, and dish soap. Just make sure you rinse them out very very well after washing!

Keep him and any other birds acting like this seperate and be careful not to carry disease between the hospital area and the rest of the flock. This means don't take care of the hospital birds and then going to the rest of the flock. Go take care of your healthy birds and then go to the infected. Lots of handwashing and so forth.

Chances are you have more than one infected bird. Go listen to and look at your other birds, especially your roosters. Look for any kind of mucous and wheezing. If they have any kind of running mucous or are wheezing like a kid with a cold, seperate them to the hospital cage as well.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom