Wart-like bumps on chicks

CarrilynnW

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2017
We have 6-week old chicks, about 14 in a pen with their momma hens. On 3 of 14 we have noticed small lessons or bumps that look similar to warts. We cannot get any fluid out of them. They are not on their faces or legs, but back/wing or above tail. Just 1-2 bumps per bird. No other symptoms. IMG_20180606_122940907.jpg IMG_20180606_123057980.jpg

Where are you located? Could be fowl pox, otherwise they look like wounds. How big of an area are they in? You said mommas? Multiple hens with chicks? They would peck each other's chicks.

Thank you for your time! There were two broody hens. We moved the one out last week as she started laying again, and just left the one who was still keeping the babies close. We've never seen her bothering any of them... The area is quite large, it was our peacock pen last year. We're in Northern FL.

From what I read of Pox, it sounds like that usually affects head or legs, but this is only on their back or wings, nowhere on face, comb or legs. Does it sometimes affect other areas instead?

Thank you for your time! There were two broody hens. We moved the one out last week as she started laying again, and just left the one who was still keeping the babies close. We've never seen her bothering any of them... The area is quite large, it was our peacock pen last year. We're in Northern FL.

From what I read of Pox, it sounds like that usually affects head or legs, but this is only on their back or wings, nowhere on face, comb or legs. Does it sometimes affect other areas instead?
It can. Since you are in Florida you may have to worry about ants and spider bites. I'm not real familiar with you critters down there though.

@Wyorp Rock , what does it look like to you?

In regards to the white chick, I think it is just a minor scrape. I find that some of my more active birds that don't feather out quick enough, sometimes get scabs on their wing joints from bumping into things.

We have 6-week old chicks, about 14 in a pen with their momma hens. On 3 of 14 we have noticed small lessons or bumps that look similar to warts. We cannot get any fluid out of them. They are not on their faces or legs, but back/wing or above tail. Just 1-2 bumps per bird. No other symptoms.View attachment 1419310 View attachment 1419319
You might spray Vetericyn on them, it couldn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom