Warts on my Ducks' Bills and Feet

What’s the treatment for dry pox?
I don't think there is one. At least I couldn't find one when my rooster had it. It just takes time to heal, and is very rarely critical or fatal, unless it gets into the respiratory tract. Then it turns into wet pox. I don't know the treatment for wet pox because I haven't dealt with it but I'm sure someone on here does.

I’ve not seen anything like that on my ducks, and don’t remember any posts here like it either. I was thinking scabs from something, and mosquitos would seem possible!

I’d try soaking the feet in Epsom salt water, and see if the darkness is just on the surface, and what the bumps look like underneath. Some antibiotic ointment would be fine to use on them.

Maybe @Miss Lydia or @Pyxis might have some ideas too.
I gave one of them a "spa treatment" - soaked them In Epsom salt water for a couple of hours. I also took my nail brush to scrub them. They aren't scabs. Color did not lighten much.
duck feet.jpg

I had a rooster with fowl pox once. It took a few weeks, but ran its course and he was back to his beautiful self. The picture is showing dry pox, which is what my rooster had. What you need to watch for is wet pox. Look inside your ducks mouth for lesions. If they are there, tell us. I don't know what the treatment is for that, but many others do. Good luck with your duck! I'm sure all will be okay soon.
Thank you. I looked inside and it looked normal - no lesions.

I still think it's fowl pox, and since the inside of the mouth looks normal, I'm guessing it is dry pox. It will go away on its own. But, do keep checking the mouth because it can spread there and then it gets into the respiratory and that can be fatal. I couldn't find a treatment when my rooster had this. He didn't have it anywhere besides on his comb.

Thank you for the link. Some information from it: "Infected birds have ruffled feathers and appear lethargic (that is, not thrifty)" - describes the worst one. "It is also important to control mosquitoes in the area where the birds are kept." Yeah . . . that is not possible. I live in a Florida swamp.
Not possible to control mosquitoes here either. We're surrounded by PNW rain forest and on a river. LOL We have invaded the mosquitoes habitat. Verne never seemed lethargic at all. Do your ducks?

Back
Top Bottom