Wary of possum in backyard

Unfortunately unless you build a chicken coop and run that's predator proof you will have predators steal your eggs and kill your chickens .Installing a couple strands of electric fence around your runs helps. For peace of mind increase the security !

Hey y'all!

There've been possums in my yard ever since we moved in (4 years) and they've never caused an issue before. We've found a total of 4 adults and one baby. We usually find them from my small dog (14 yo Schnoodle) barking his head off at them. When we find them, we usually shoo them off without injuring them. However, lately I've noticed that there is an adult possum lurking in the corner of the yard closest to the coop. It's never hurt the girls before, but sometimes I find little dig marks next to the run which I fill in and set a brick on top of. The chickens are securely shut into the coop at night. Is there anything I can/should do to deter the possums? I REALLY don't want to dispatch or trap them, just deter. My brother suggested a salt gun, but those are cruel imo. I was thinking of an airsoft gun, because my brothers had tons of them when they were younger and we still have them.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Hot pepper trick I use ghost peppers you take the hottest peppers you can get your hands on and crush them especially the seeds put it around your coop and run it deters ground predators

Back
Top Bottom