Was 100% sure, now did s(he) suddenly change sex?

Sounds like a poll in the making!
I'm thinking about it. Well, yes, I'd really like to know the reasons of all these cockerels, but how to know the cause then (if the results show that are really hatching more cockerels)? šŸ¤”
Maybe it's just better to do a step at a time, but I'd like to research more about this before

I'm thinking about it. Well, yes, I'd really like to know the reasons of all these cockerels, but how to know the cause then (if the results show that are really hatching more cockerels)? šŸ¤”
Maybe it's just better to do a step at a time, but I'd like to research more about this before
I've read every related study to incubation and pre-incubation storage from the past few years trying to find something definitive ( well the stuff I don't need to pay a subscription to the journal, I have decent access through my university library). So far the only significant thing I've seen I incubating at a slightly lower temperature can make it more difficult for males to hatch, this seems unnecessarily cruel to me. There's also some very interesting stuff regarding egg storage at various temperatures being able to swing the sex of a small percentage of birds with a borderline biological make-up. The broiler industry has found certain breeding practices can increase the number of males hatched, I didn't quite follow that one other than they breed back to the same mother's and then those offspring are predominantly male (good for meat production). Fascinating stuff, quail can be manipulated quite a bit by pre incubation conditions, one study started incubation for 8 hours, stopped and cooled then started incubation again and had better hatch rates. I find it all so fascinating.

. So far the only significant thing I've seen I incubating at a slightly lower temperature can make it more difficult for males to hatch, this seems unnecessarily cruel to me.
I read that, too, and I agree with you.
I also tought, if someone doesn't try this method, the percentage of eggs that don't hatch have the same possibilities to be male or female. So, if someone doesn't change the temperature and have more males anyways, this won't explain why do more cockerels hatch.
Interesting that the storage can influence the sex (even if in a small percentage). I never payed attention about the temperature during the storage (I just put the eggs in a fresh and dark place in the house). Since that everything can help, I'll try to study more about this, too. Since it works only with some eggs, I don't think the storage temperature was the cause of the extra cockerels, but who knows, that's not impossible.

Don't worry! Full-bodied shots are definitely helpful, but it's comb looks on-par with my Brahma pullets at that age.
FBDC8117-15E1-43D6-8816-3ECF9257D2E3.jpeg
72B301BD-0E32-4C2D-A8E1-851B6431059C.jpeg

Chickens go through a lot of changing, roosters and chickens, my chickens seem to have that back leg claw that roosters only have, but its like some type of bump, but that doesn't mean it changed, and, that's a very juvenile chicken or rooster, may take some time to know it's gender, but it kind of looks like a rooster.

Well ... i had to smile a bit at your thread title because .... they don't change gender you know ... ;) we just change our opinion of what they are! I'm no pro "at all, at all!!", but my guess is your bird is a pullet. Keep us posted!

Well ... i had to smile a bit at your thread title because .... they don't change gender you know ... ;) we just change our opinion of what they are! I'm no pro "at all, at all!!", but my guess is your bird is a pullet. Keep us posted!
Yes, I know I know, I was just ironicalšŸ˜…šŸ˜‚
Sometimes it almost looks like they enjoy confusing you about their gender (and that's because they can change a lot and very fast, obviously they can't decide what gender they are and either change it).
So the pretty chick you were sure was a pullet comes out to be a late bloomer cockerel lol
Like: " Oh well, so you think I'm a pullet? I guess it's time to grow a big red comb and begin crowing":gig

Yes, I know I know, I was just ironicalšŸ˜…šŸ˜‚
Sometimes it almost looks like they enjoy confusing you about their gender (and that's because they can change a lot and very fast, obviously they can't decide what gender they are and either change it).
So the pretty chick you were sure was a pullet comes out to be a late bloomer cockerel lol
Like: " Oh well, so you think I'm a pullet? I guess it's time to grow a big red comb and begin crowing":gig
Aww, man!!!! I got a bunch of EEs a couple of years ago, and I tell you, I changed my mind about half of them every single day for MONTHS! When they finally started to crow, I was finally sure. šŸ¤£

Back
Top Bottom