Was 100% sure, now did s(he) suddenly change sex?

Skyle

Fluffy feathered feet addicted
Premium Feather Member
Apr 11, 2020
Between Italy and Slovenia
Hi everyone!
I hatched some Light Brahmas a bit more than 9 weeks ago. From the beginning (by watching at the behaviour) I tought at least one was a pullet, and I tought for 9 weeks I was right, 4 cockerels and one pullet (yeah, what a luck, but that's not strange to me:gig)
I wanted to show these chickens when they get older, so I putted the leg rings on them (required to show the birds, you have to put them on when the chicken is still young and, once grew, the only way to put them off is by cutting the ring).
I was 100% sure this one was a pullet (very pale comb, no wattles, much smaller and feminine than the brothers, then she was the only one having no male saddle feathers, also the calmer behaviour) so I putted on her the ring that has to be used for females.
Soooo, now I was putting them to bed and I noticed that her comb became very pink and the wattles grew (but this happened like today or yesterday, very quickly). Not as red as the brothers, the wattles are smaller, she looks to have female saddle feathers and still smaller and feminine but I'm really upset that I may have all males:barnie (I also have more 14 younger, we'll see how many cockerels I end up:th)
IMG_20210429_192857.jpg
IMG_20210429_192838.jpg

This one is one of the brothers for comparison
IMG_20210429_192923.jpg

Thank you;)

The comb looks like my 9 weeks Dark Brahma pullets but, they don't have any noticable wattles yet. I'd still say maybe pullet, you'll know for sure in a couple weeks when male specific feathering comes in.

It looks as much cockerel as the other one.
Overall size, behavior, etc aren't effective sexing methods.
Also at 9 weeks I wouldn't expect any to have male saddle feathers.
Thank you!
Yes, I know they aren't so reliable, was just another tought, just to delude me better lol.
All the other ones (as well as the chicks from the last year, at the same age) have beginned to grow saddle feathers (they aren't very visible unless you go to watch near, but you can recognize them)

Thank you!
We'll wait and see what s(he) ends up to be
I sure hope it's a pullet! I had really bad hatch rates for pullets this year, 7 cockerels to 2 pullets. Ended having to buy sexed pullets and still ended up with 3 more cockerels 🤷 It seems like male numbers are trending up, even in my quail hatches I had 3 female and 16 male in a single hatch! It's really making me question environmental factors related to sex, so far I can't find anything definitive in the scientific community, but just based off of talking to others a lot of people are having a lot more cockerels overall than prior years. It's so strange.

I sure hope it's a pullet! I had really bad hatch rates for pullets this year, 7 cockerels to 2 pullets. Ended having to buy sexed pullets and still ended up with 3 more cockerels 🤷 It seems like male numbers are trending up, even in my quail hatches I had 3 female and 16 male in a single hatch! It's really making me question environmental factors related to sex, so far I can't find anything definitive in the scientific community, but just based off of talking to others a lot of people are having a lot more cockerels overall than prior years. It's so strange.
I think this may be true
Last year with 14 chicks I ended up with only 3 pullets. My bf, on the other hand, which hatched my chicks with his, had 5 cockerels and 12 pullets. But I also know other people that often end up with more boys than girls.
I know the hens "give" the chromosome that says the sex of the chick and I also didn't bred the same hens as last year, and also changed the rooster.
I hatched three supermarket quail eggs last november (maybe was just a case because of the really small number) and they're all females. Then, when I hatched 8 chicks for my bf, 4 males and 4 females (as it should be).
I really don't know, I can't think this is just bad luck and I also can't hatch dozen of chicks to have a chance to have a flock with a nice number of females.

Last edited:
Yeah, it may just be the skewing of the odds in small hatches. I never set more than 21 eggs unless they're shipped. I hatched out my friends silkie eggs from her flock in March and out of the dozen she ended up 7 cockerels, 3 pullets, 1 early quitter. I was starting to think it's somehow my incubator, lol!

Yeah, it may just be the skewing of the odds in small hatches. I never set more than 21 eggs unless they're shipped. I hatched out my friends silkie eggs from her flock in March and out of the dozen she ended up 7 cockerels, 3 pullets, 1 early quitter. I was starting to think it's somehow my incubator, lol!
It can be the small number of chicks (I think that, to have some acceptable statistic results, thousand of chicks have to hatch) but if lots of people have multiple hatches with more males than females I think that (statistically) it's like a very big hatch. But maybe other people get more females than males, so all the hatches in the world get balanced with similar numbers of cockerels and pullets hatched.
To really know it to maybe begin some searchings it should be done a survey where it's asked how many males and females hatched 🤔

It can be the small number of chicks (I think that, to have some acceptable statistic results, thousand of chicks have to hatch) but if lots of people have multiple hatches with more males than females I think that (statistically) it's like a very big hatch. But maybe other people get more females than males, so all the hatches in the world get balanced with similar numbers of cockerels and pullets hatched.
To really know it to maybe begin some searchings it should be done a survey where it's asked how many males and females hatched 🤔
Sounds like a poll in the making!

Back
Top Bottom