was-Freedom Rangers arrived today! Now-weekly results

2 weeks old and these chicks have Huge feet & legs! And many with crooked middle toes...I didn't notice that before today. It seems odd.

I moved 10 of them to another brooder beause they were too crowded in the original one.

Sue

The poop has started! wow.....

They are 17 days old today, and when I opened the brooder door & they saw me, they ran to the empty feeder and were hysterical! Even though all the food was gone, they acted like it was there.

Of course, once I filled the feeder, it was feeding frenzy like I've never seen before! They recognize me as the "food provider" already and run to my hand looking for food when I put it inside the brooder. My turkey poults & a couple of other non-FR chicks just stand there like dummies!

I expect by next week, I will put them in a pen on the floor with a heat lamp so they won't be as crowded as they are now.

I put the feeder on the opposite side of the brooder, away from the heat, so they have to walk around to eat & drink. Otherwise, they just sit under the lamps.

Sue

So at 3 weeks they weigh almost a pound.

I've moved 2/3 of them to wire bottom brooders....too much poop in one place!

They are like monsters that throw themselves at my hands when they see me opening the doors to the brooders...agressive doesn't half explain how they act for food.
But, I guess that is why they grow so fast.

Sue

ps adding photos.

I put my hand on the bottom to show how tall they are. When I go to take the photo they hunch down.

22072_img00109.jpg

22072_img00106.jpg

Getting bare butt on some,but not all. Feathers are coming in ok.

22072_img00104.jpg

Last edited:
Going to keep an eye on your post if you don't mind. I'm very interested in getting some of these this spring! Good Luck!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I don't expect them to grow as fast at the cornishx, but I'll be happy with a 5lbs roaster....

Sue

If I may chime in on the FR thread. I too bought mine from Kendall and they all arrived in perfect health. I am 2 months in and I have not lost a single bird yet. At 8 weeks old I am getting an avg. weight of 4 1/4 pounds. I raised CX last round but I did not keep track of weights so I am not sure how these compare. They are so much nicer to look at than the CX that the extra feed and time it takes is alright.

Back
Top Bottom