Was given 2 Peacocks today, a Bronze BS and Seipel BS Take a look.

SO how old would you say these two are?

He has a bunch of different types, He has Opal,Purples,Java's,Bronze,whites,Spaldings,IB,BSIB,Seiple BS,Cameo,Peach, then he has these types in Reg Barred Wing and BS and some them are in Pied and Silver Pied.
He also has all types of Pheasants, Some Chickens,Guineas, Turkeys, Rheas,Emus, Black Swans and I am sure there was more.

Based on the very little I know, I would say that the blacker one is a 2012 or 2011 model and the other one is at least three.
idunno.gif

Hi Joe-

Beautiful birds! I see that you are from Eastern NY. I am from Schoharie County (40 miles west of Albany) and am looking into getting my first peafowl (I have about 40+ chickens and 8 guinea) and am wondering how well they manage in our winter climate, as well as how soon I have to have a full-size area for them (tall roosts, etc.). Can they be with my chickens for a while? And do they have any special winter needs?
Finally, do you know anyone who sells peafowl eggs? I am planning on going to the Schaghticoke Animal Swap on Sunday (May 5) because they are suppose to have a lot of "exotics" to see what they have, but am open to other options. I've been told I am more likely to find chicks there than eggs, but would prefer eggs as I have a very determined broody silkie...

Thanks for your time.

Jackie

You are further north of me, prob about 3 Hrs away I am guessing so you prob are a touch colder but not a enough to matter.
Mine seem to be fine with all of my birds, Peas don't seem to be like chickens where they hate all new comers. If I was you I would build them there own section though and I would build it as big as you can the more room the better remember there trains get long and they are a bit clumsy when they try to fly and tend to smash into things. The roost are another thing the higher the better. They winter over fine just give them a shelter to keep them dry and out of the rain. If you can raise chickens you can handle peas. I don't free range mine but you can try it does work for some. They do tend to be noise at times.

I don't know anyone who sells eggs. I can hook you up with some breeders, The one guy I know is Prob less then 2 Hrs from you.

Thanks for that information. I was hoping to keep them with the chickens for the first year...to give me time to build something. I do plan on free ranging because we live 1/2 mile back off the road and are surrounded by fields. Hopefully too far for them to roam into trouble and for their sound to be annoying to the far-away neighbors.

Am I correct that the roosts should be minimum of 8' off the ground? And then they would need an additional, what, 2' above that so they don't hit their heads? Sounds like a funny question.

I would give them shelter in the winter like a coop - walls, ceiling, ventilation, but no insulation (my chickens don't have an insulated coop). And then an attached run, too - higher than what the chickens have.

I would be interested in the breeder contact info. I am probably going to the animal swap on Sunday just to look and see - and maybe talk - but that doesn't mean I'm coming home with anything.

Oh - and did I read something about certain colors of peafowl being better in the cold??? I go by a house nearby that has white peacocks....they were in a fenced pen during the good weather (with a little igloo shaped shelter inside the pen) and then disappeared for the winter. I am assuming they have an indoor facility for the cold months.

Thanks again!

Jackie

Look at the Pictures in my Sig above that is what I did, Yes Pure Green Peafowl need heat, the rest are fine. You can try keeping them with chickens, but When they are real young you have to watch they don't get sick. I'll PM you a couple of Numbers later.

Thanks for that information. I was hoping to keep them with the chickens for the first year...to give me time to build something. I do plan on free ranging because we live 1/2 mile back off the road and are surrounded by fields. Hopefully too far for them to roam into trouble and for their sound to be annoying to the far-away neighbors.

Am I correct that the roosts should be minimum of 8' off the ground? And then they would need an additional, what, 2' above that so they don't hit their heads? Sounds like a funny question.

I would give them shelter in the winter like a coop - walls, ceiling, ventilation, but no insulation (my chickens don't have an insulated coop). And then an attached run, too - higher than what the chickens have.

I would be interested in the breeder contact info. I am probably going to the animal swap on Sunday just to look and see - and maybe talk - but that doesn't mean I'm coming home with anything.

Oh - and did I read something about certain colors of peafowl being better in the cold??? I go by a house nearby that has white peacocks....they were in a fenced pen during the good weather (with a little igloo shaped shelter inside the pen) and then disappeared for the winter. I am assuming they have an indoor facility for the cold months.

Thanks again!

Jackie

Well the roosts do not necessarily have to be that high, but keep in mind that you would want perches so that the trains will not be touching the ground when a peacock perches. Mine handle the NY winters just fine in a setup that is similar to yours. My green peafowl are kept in heated areas over the winter. I do live in NY as well and could sell hatching eggs if you are interested. Any India Blue based bird or color mutation will handle the cold just fine. It is the higher percentage spadlings and greens that need heat. Spaldings can survive the cold, but when you think about it, if they are around at least 75% green then heating would be nice. White peafowl would be perfectly fine in the winter.

Why do greens need extra heat..... Don't both lines of peacock come from similar climates? So why would one require more heat than others? Shouldn't they require the same things? As long as they can cover their extremities with feather ( sitting on them when they roost ) shouldn't they avoid frostbite? The reason I ask is all the research I have found on the breeds suggests physically their requirements should be the same. Maybe the idea of extra care came from the fact that they are more prized possessions than the blues? I'm not discrediting anyone....we provide a heated roost for all our birds and not one unless confined to the pin used it. I think it says something for natural selections and mother nature.

P C .. The reason to me is kinda like you say .. their feet and toes are larger than blues and they need a proper roost to be able to cover them from frostbite, if they run out and don't get good cover the toes will be hurt and the next thing you see is a toe or toes turning black and falling off. This sometimes put them in pain and subject to abuse from other birds. Really it is down hill from there if the damage is sever . Many can breed and recover if the frost bite is limited to only one or two toes. Been there done that..better to not take chances.. George

Back
Top Bottom