Was given a dozen fertilized Buff Orpington... Now what?!

mrsguardian88

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 17, 2013
Orient, NY
I was told they were just laid yesterday, I would like to hatch and raise them, but don't know where to start. How long can I leave them out of an incubator? It may take me three or four days to find a proper incubator before I can put them in it, what should I do with them in the meantime? At what temperature should they be kept if I want to eventually put them in an incubator?

I am no expert, but I have been told the hatch rate goes down after about 7 days from lay if you don't get them into incubation. Good luck!
Hi, Your fine...............Leave them in the egg carton and turn them three or more times a day. I do this by propping one end of the carton
up 45 degrees, then switching sides and lifting the other end. 50 degrees temp is ideal..................
If possible run your incubator at least 24 hours before adding the eggs to be sure the temp and humidity are stable.
Buy a hygrometer....................I get mine at petco in the reptile section for about $6.00.
This should answer some of your most pressing questions. There are stickys. How to care for fertile eggs for one.
you can find it in search. Also please feel free to continue to ask questions here. Lots of people to help you.
Most of all..........HAVE FUN.......................
big_smile.png

Thank you for your help! I'm borrowing an incubatorso I should have it by tomorrow! I'm very excited but I want to know one more thing, once I put the eggs in the incubator, on what day will I actually know if an embryo is developing? I'm asking because I'm afraid I've kept the eggs at the wrong temperature since I've had them. I've turned them as I'm supposed to but the temperature has fluctuated from 60*-80* daily.

Back
Top Bottom