Was I mistakenly sold bantams!??

andham

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
We purchased six chicks at Big R this year. After a great deal of discussion and research we decided to have two leghorns, two barred rocks, and two easter eggers. When we went to get the two day old chicks, the last of that week's eater eggers were sold to someone else while we were getting the leghorns and BR's packed up.

We had to come back one week later when the next batch of EE's were to arrive. When we got there, some chuckle head had placed the new EE's in the same bin with the previous week's eastern egger bantams! The the clerk helping us was unsure which birds were which, but his supervisor explained that he the week old bantams would be the birds with feather, whereas the large EE's would be all chick fuzz.

We chose two of the chicks and put them in with the rest of the flock. The birds are now thee weeks and two weeks old respectively.

My concern is the EE's appear to be smaller than the the rest of the flock was one week ago. I am worried the my EE's are bantams. Is there anyway to tell?

Thanks

Also!!! The bantams would be straight run so I would have a 75% chance that one of the EE's is a rooster. Yikes.

Well, bantams tend to be truly tiny. For example, here are some of my standards with bantams, all the same age (nearly 2 weeks old):

IMO if they were bantams they'd be super tiny and it would be easy to tell. Do you have any pictures? :)

I will try to post some pics. The problem is my two possible bantams are a week or so younger than the others. It could just be that they have grown so much during their third week that the two week olds look much smaller. I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom