was it a egg song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bamachicks8, Jan 26, 2013.

1. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chick a roo has been pretty quit since I got her she laid an egg yesterday although I have no clue what time it was as I was at work well at about 830 she started making some pretty loud noises it was like cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck baw bawk and that sequence went on for a little over a minute I do not see an egg she had been perfectly quiet since then was this an egg song should I go dig around for an egg?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    theres lots of reasons for them to make those crazy noises ! it could mean she saw an enemy and she is warning the others, she can be happy, she can be hungry etc. Mine do that sometimes and no eggs,

3. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    The egg song are the noises a hen makes after she lays an egg. You can always dig around to see if she laid an egg.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The egg song can be sung before, after, or during laying an egg. In a higher intensity, it is also a danger call. It sounds like bok bok bok bok BAGAWWWK!

5. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well Im not sure what it was but it wasn't an egg song she laid sometimes close to 1 I think the egg was still pretty warm when I got it when we got back to the house around 1 just gonna take some time to figure out what she is thinking

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by