Was it a falcon?

YES! Buy aviary netting. It's actually hard to see, so it won't mess with aesthetics too much. Making it nice and tight and using zip ties to secure it to your fence every 4-6 inches will take time but it's worth it. Also … don't cut it to size first. It pulls out differently - hard to explain- but if you cut it first... it will almost certainly be the wrong size. (ask me how I know, lol) They come in various sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VRLZJ5Q/?tag=backy-20

It will depend on the size of your chicken yard on how you install it- we used round posts to support the aviary net because of the slope- you need to maintain the space between the net and the ground- and other bushes/trees we needed to go over. I've had hawks dive on my chickens with me standing feet away, and they bounce right off. One tried diving in 3 different spots before it gave up and flew off- that would have been catastrophic for the hen and chicks it went for first.

View attachment 1966285
View attachment 1966286
Also wanted to add: Get it there quick and have your guests help you install it!!! The more hands the better. You can also consider placing your posts in such a way to make new (lower) perches for them- obviously not too high off the ground … wouldn't want Mr. Falcon to come back and find prey sitting right up at the top of the net! … but you can further enhance your run and support the hawk net. It's actually really light stuff- so it's more keeping it tight and keeping it high enough that you won't rub your head on it.
Thanks for the tips, I'll draw up some sort of plan tonight. Unfortunately my houseguests left this afternoon so my dad is going to come by and help me put up some posts or something. I really haven't looked at any examples of netting before so I need to do some research.

Amazing. Somebody has lost a bird that they have put a lot of training into and if you can find out who they will be thrilled to get their bird back....as thrilled as you will be to get rid of the pest/predator.

Just a thought. You might try calling your local vets' offices and ask them if they are aware of any falconry clubs or falcon owners. I'm wondering what the hunting range is for a falcon.

If you have a zoo near by they may be able to help you also.

Many years ago I was out riding my horse and came upon a pigeon that was wounded. I was able to dismount and catch it. It was banded and had a message capsule attached to its leg that had a phone number in it saying if you find this bird call.... I did. The bird had taken a shotgun blast and had buckshot wounds in it's wing. The owner was thrilled to get his pigeon back.

As for the netting. I know a lady who had flight nets up over her turkey and pea fowl enclosures. She used a single tall pole (maybe 15 feet?) and set the net up like a tepee, stretching the net out into a big circle for her birds.

Hope you get this all sorted out. Good luck!

What I think was a falcon attacked in the chicken yard today. It cornered two of my old Easter Eggers and scratched them up. I heard them screaming and ran outside, it flew to the top of my privacy fence when it saw me and sat there.
Both hens were fine, one has a deep cut above her eye that I cleaned out and covered in antibiotic ointment and the rest of the injuries were superficial.

I'm trying to find new ways to help prevent attacks, I have a feeling this bird will be back the way he watched them after I chased him away. I'm looking into suspending some netting above the chicken yard, trying to get a handle on what it is going to cost and how many posts I'll need to put up etc. Was wondering if anybody could give me some ideas?

Any reason a falcon would have a bell attached to it? When it flew off I heard a bell ringing, it was definitely coming from the bird. Also, is it weird that it was a falcon? I really think I saw a falcon, I got a good look at it, but I have never seen a falcon here and I've lived here for sixteen years. I keep a close eye on the local raptors because of the hens, we have lots of red tail and coopers hawks around but so far no falcons. I think it may have gone after the bantams first, and then attacked the bigger birds for some reason?

Just like the attack from last spring, the only injuries were superficial cuts around their eyes and combs. I felt all over their bodies looking for blood and didn't find anything so I don't think anything serious happened.

Sorry if this is just a jumble, it's been a long day. To make things worse I've been entertaining family all day, it happened while they were here so they got to watch me frantically charge a bird with razor sharp talons and sob hysterically when I realized everybody was okay, never gonna live that down :p

All advice is sincerely appreciated, hope you had a better Saturday then me.
I'm not sure what to do about your falcon problem, but I think my avatar is in love with your avatar!

Thanks for the tips, I'll draw up some sort of plan tonight. Unfortunately my houseguests left this afternoon so my dad is going to come by and help me put up some posts or something. I really haven't looked at any examples of netting before so I need to do some research.

Shucks! Well, invite them over again when the net arrives, LOL …

One of the hens involved in the attack is acting strange today, I posted a new thread and locked her in the coop with her own water and a wet mash. If anyone wants to read that thread and chime in, here is the link-
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...terest-in-food-acting-dazed-and-slow.1340768/

Thanks so much for all the advice and knowledge everyone has provided already, I really appreciate it and so does the flock.

Back
Top Bottom