Was my leg-feathered cuckoo maran picking on its claws?

Looks like her toenail got cut/torn?

x2. Nail/foot injuries can bleed quite a lot, since they're walking around and getting it on everything they touch.

If possible you might want to get that cleaned up so you can get a good look at what exactly is happening there. If it's strictly the nail itself that's cracked, might be best to clip it at the break and then use styptic or cornstarch to help clot it up. Keep her on clean bedding for a day or two and then it should be ok after that.

It stopped bleeding after some time last night a
Yes, that amount of blood is alarming.
Is it still bleeding?
It stopped bleeding after some time last night and I put betadine on it and got it covered with bandaid and electric tape so the hen wont pick on it again. Last night, the hen settled down in the garage. We let it out of the cage and it was pretty content and happy. It is still there at this time with food and water. When it warms up a bit, I will return it to the coop and watch (hidden) to see how the others react to it. Yesterday all I got was 3 eggs when I got 5 the other day. This morning I got 3 eggs again and that was before 10 am. I am hoping that they are getting the rhythm on of laying and maybe there will be 2 more or 3 in there when I when again later. My husband and I checked for holes just in case there was a small predator that got in and we found none.

x2. Nail/foot injuries can bleed quite a lot, since they're walking around and getting it on everything they touch.

If possible you might want to get that cleaned up so you can get a good look at what exactly is happening there. If it's strictly the nail itself that's cracked, might be best to clip it at the break and then use styptic or cornstarch to help clot it up. Keep her on clean bedding for a day or two and then it should be ok after that.
Thank you! We put betadine on it and wrapped with bandaid and an electric tape so the hen doesn't pick on it again. So far it's still there when I checked this morning. The hen stayed in the garage out of the cage the whole night with food and water and it was coo-cooing nicely last night and this morning. Will return it to the coop and hide to observe how the others treat it before I finally let it stay there the whole day today.

Back
Top Bottom