Was that a quail egg call?!

SeptemberQuail

Songster
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Australia
Just happened recently;
I was outside watching my quails, when one started to lay her egg in her nesting box. After laying it, she slowly returned to her normal shape (before she was all poofed up), and then did this random but loud screech/call thing, and the male came right up to her, with the other female trailing along not far.

When the male arrived, she walked away.
The male has already mounted both females before if that helps... And I've cracked an egg before (accidentally, but it was tasty) laid by my other female, the eggs were fertile for sure. . .

Anyone know why she did that random screech?
And if it was an 'egg call', what does it mean? I've heard it means that the eggs are fertile, but how would she know?!

Thanks.

I have CBBQ, "Button" quail and the male calls to the female all the time she is preparing to lay then she calls out and low and behold there is an egg! Its the cutest thing I hear all day. I have mine in the house as pets in my main living room in a cage. I love the way they talk to each other, sometimes it is so low I wonder if I'm hearing things...lol silly birds.
Enjoy your quail they are quite the wonderful bird.

My button pair also call to each other around egg-time. My female will sometimes make a "ch-ch-ch-ch-cah cah" sound if i take too long to come and collect the egg. She gets a little treat when i take her egg so she's become pretty demanding.

Back
Top Bottom