Was this a good emergancy chick starter ?

IwannaBEaMERMAID

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Beverly Hills, CA
well today I ran out of chick starter on my 3 day old chicks !! Feed store is closed so I had to improvize and MAKE some on short notice !!this is what I made it with, I have some extra that I can use tomarrow or throw out. Is it good to keep, or did I hurt them by giving it to them ??

Ingredients

1 cup cracked corn ( processed by Magic Bullet )
3 slices whole wheat toast dry ( processed by Magic Bullet )
1/2 cup dry dog food ( processed by Magic Bullet )

I doubt you harmed them feeding that for a day, or even two, and as I hate waste I would not throw it out, just mix what I had left into the feed when I got it. Right off hand looking at your list I suspect the protein is too low, what is the % on the dog food? Cat food is more often used to treat chickens, or just give molting ones a boost for it's high protein. For chicks milk or milk powder is another great protein if you ever need it.

Over all I have to say good work getting them something tasty!

I had to feed mine w/e i had for over a week....the darn store just happened to be out the day i got them and took forever to get any in. So i fed very little layer feed, bird seeds, cracked corn. I gave them cottage cheese sometimes.

with the dog food, maybe cat food would be better? I know people suggest cat food more, but dont over do it. It will have more protien so that will be good ot help them grow.
I don't really know what is best too feed though :\\

I guess in the wild they'd be eating all kinds of things but I'd go back to chick feed as soon as possible. Don't want to deal with "pasty butt"!
love.gif

The dog food says " crude protein 21% min " so I ground up a cup more and mixed it in with what was left so there's more protein, because im not going to buy chick starter before 5 a.m. when they wake up and start eating

Back
Top Bottom