Was told Hope (bunny) was a girl but....

coloradochick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 19, 2007
Brighton, CO
Back a couple of months ago we adopted a bunny and we were told she was a girl after the woman turned it over and checked parts. So Hope became one of the family. Today, dd adopted a 4 month old Lop bunny, Faith, who is a little girl. We let them sniff and meet and when we put Faith in with Hope, Hope began to mount her and do his/her thing. My question is could Hope still be female and just showing Faith who is dominate or is Hope a male
sad.png

Females will sometimes mount females either as a dominance display...or if they are unfixed and in heat. They will mount males too in the latter case. X)

If male, you can neuter rabbits for a very affordable price (45-55 dollars locally, including exam fee, pain meds, etc) at any spay and neuter clinic that is knowledgeable in rabbits. Some vets have affordable prices too.

You can look up how to sex a rabbit online, which will help take any guess work out of the equation.
smile.png

Also rabbits are territorial and may fight. The only rabbits I ever had that could live together were litter mates that were never seperated. Spaying and neutering may help but many rabbits don't want or like other rabbit friends in "their" area. I raised Mini lops for 12 years.
Aprille

After they are out of the baby stage, if you can flip Hope over onto her back, you should be able to see...er.. the jelly beans, if Hope is really Hopeless, or Hank.
It's the other part that you can't see on rabbits.
Hopefully it's just a dominance thing, but they can be pretty rough if they want to.

Females will mount to show dominance especially if you introduced the new bun into her territory.
Loving is better than fighting in my books though:lau

Good point Ms Feathers
big_smile.png

So they've been in seperate cages since the initial "love fest"

I was hoping to give Hopey a friend but may have made a mistake. I guess the hutch that Hubbster will be building here the next week will be a apartment building for single ladies
smile.png

Tomorrow we'll go hunting for jelly beans maybe since the time the woman we bought Hope from turned him over and now, maybe some have grown.

I was given this advice on sexing young rabbits - if you see "parts" it's a boy. If you don't see anything, it's either a girl or you did it wrong.

That said, integrating rabbits is best done the same as people advise for chickens. Time spent in separate cages next to each other and then slow periods of out of cage introduction to let them decide if they want to be friends.
If Hope is really Hank, then it's quite likely that Faith could be pregnant. They don't say "breed like rabbits" for nothing.

I bred rabbits for years. Very hard to sex when young....
Only after the testicles drop will you be sure it's a male, if you don't go looking in the "vent" part.

My female mounted my other female when introduced, then they got into it. But yes, very possible.

Back
Top Bottom