1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Was told Hope (bunny) was a girl but....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by coloradochick, Jan 7, 2012.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Back a couple of months ago we adopted a bunny and we were told she was a girl after the woman turned it over and checked parts. So Hope became one of the family. Today, dd adopted a 4 month old Lop bunny, Faith, who is a little girl. We let them sniff and meet and when we put Faith in with Hope, Hope began to mount her and do his/her thing. My question is could Hope still be female and just showing Faith who is dominate or is Hope a male [​IMG]

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yes. She could still be a girl.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  3. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Females will sometimes mount females either as a dominance display...or if they are unfixed and in heat. They will mount males too in the latter case. X)

If male, you can neuter rabbits for a very affordable price (45-55 dollars locally, including exam fee, pain meds, etc) at any spay and neuter clinic that is knowledgeable in rabbits. Some vets have affordable prices too.

You can look up how to sex a rabbit online, which will help take any guess work out of the equation. [​IMG]

4. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Also rabbits are territorial and may fight. The only rabbits I ever had that could live together were litter mates that were never seperated. Spaying and neutering may help but many rabbits don't want or like other rabbit friends in "their" area. I raised Mini lops for 12 years.
    Aprille

5. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    After they are out of the baby stage, if you can flip Hope over onto her back, you should be able to see...er.. the jelly beans, if Hope is really Hopeless, or Hank.
    It's the other part that you can't see on rabbits.
    Hopefully it's just a dominance thing, but they can be pretty rough if they want to.

6. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Females will mount to show dominance especially if you introduced the new bun into her territory.
    Loving is better than fighting in my books though:lau

7. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Good point Ms Feathers [​IMG]

So they've been in seperate cages since the initial "love fest"

I was hoping to give Hopey a friend but may have made a mistake. I guess the hutch that Hubbster will be building here the next week will be a apartment building for single ladies [​IMG]

Tomorrow we'll go hunting for jelly beans maybe since the time the woman we bought Hope from turned him over and now, maybe some have grown.

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I was given this advice on sexing young rabbits - if you see "parts" it's a boy. If you don't see anything, it's either a girl or you did it wrong.

That said, integrating rabbits is best done the same as people advise for chickens. Time spent in separate cages next to each other and then slow periods of out of cage introduction to let them decide if they want to be friends.
    If Hope is really Hank, then it's quite likely that Faith could be pregnant. They don't say "breed like rabbits" for nothing.

9. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I bred rabbits for years. Very hard to sex when young....
    Only after the testicles drop will you be sure it's a male, if you don't go looking in the "vent" part.

10. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    My female mounted my other female when introduced, then they got into it. But yes, very possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by