Washing a white chicken for show? What am I doing wrong???

Cowboy Magic green out. LOVE IT!! I have white Polish and Silkies I show. I spray them down with it real good with it, let them sit for about 5 minutes then rince. If there are really bad stains I do it all over again. Good luck!!

I haven't had any luck with the cowboy magic stuff. It just seems to spread stains on my birds. Maybe I just have unusually funky birds.
lol.png
I use tide with bleach alternative to wash them. I wet the bird, then use a very soft toothbrush to gently work the Tide into the feathers, going with the direction of the feather (& using the brush to gently work out any set-in funk in individual feathers). I let it sit on them for a few minutes, then rinse & repeat, if necessary. Works better than anything else I've tried. I've not tried bluing, however, but I have heard that that works really well, too. You just have to be careful not to use to much, or else you end up with a blue bird!
lol.png

To wash crests on my Polish, I wrap the body of the bird in a towel so I can then use one hand to hold the bird's body, freeing up my other hand to do the washing (usually over a bucket in my kitchen sink so that I have running water to rinse with.
hide.gif
shhhh, don't tell my husband!). I then hold the bird on its back, so its head is upside down, to wet & rinse. This way I don't get soap and/or water in the bird's eyes or nostrils.

Quote:
Just make sure you don't use too much or you risk turning the bird a shade of blue/purple. I used to use it when we showed dogs. They also have a purple liquid just for animals but I can't think of the name of it right now. It works great. I'll try to think of the name and update.

Tide with bleach alternative. Just put a quarter of a cup in a gallon of warm water. Let the bird sit in water for a minute and stroke the detergent in the same direction as the feathers. Let the detergent sit for five minutes. I use this time clean the feet good with a toothbrush, trim any nails or the beak, etc... This sitting time is really important. You have to let the detergent do its job.

Rinse the bird twice. First, rinse in a bucket of warm water with a splash of wite vinegar added to it. It gets all the detergent off the bird and makes them super clean.

Then a final rinse in just pure water. Towel off and dry well with the blow dryer.

This really works.

Back
Top Bottom