Washing Duck Eggs before incubating?

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
For those of you that incubate your duck eggs, do you wash all of the dirt and other crap off of them being placing them in the incubator or do you leave the dirt on? Does it harm the egg if you wash it?

For what it is worth I don't wash any duck eggs for incubation - mine are always hatched by my Muscovy girl " Julia" - I was told that because they have an almost oily/greasy surface that this is protection for the embryo. Cleaning can intervene with the protective outer surface, making the embryo susceptible to germs/bacteria etc.

It may be advisable to seek help before you wash them - my Muscovy girl washes herself frequently while she is broody and she will sit on her eggs afterwards - the eggs do look mucky throughout their hatching but so far all have survived without any intervention from me.

Good luck!

You can wash the eggs, but then you have to handle them different. First if you wash use water that is 20 degree warmer so the dirt get expelled and not pulled it. After washing they need to be incubated with more humidity and no spraying with water either. The humidity needs to be 10% higher then normal, but still the same during lock down. Large hatcheries wash all their eggs, because that keep the bacteria grows in the incubators down.
I do not wash my eggs, but do use a scrub pad to remove dirt. BTW I do not have much dirt because I use pine shavings, which I replace daily.

Thanks for all of the information everyone. The reason that I am asking about washing eggs is because so many people want to purchase my muscovy ducks eggs for hatching and I want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. When I collect the eggs, the eggs are so dirty. The ducks are laying eggs all over. I don't want to give customers dirty eggs, so I am not sure what to do as far as washing the eggs. What do you all think I should do as far as not having to give my customers dirty eggs for incubating? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks again everyone. You all have been so helpful.

Thanks for all of the information everyone. The reason that I am asking about washing eggs is because so many people want to purchase my muscovy ducks eggs for hatching and I want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. When I collect the eggs, the eggs are so dirty. The ducks are laying eggs all over. I don't want to give customers dirty eggs, so I am not sure what to do as far as washing the eggs. What do you all think I should do as far as not having to give my customers dirty eggs for incubating? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks again everyone. You all have been so helpful.
I would suggest a appropriate sized covered run. We have over 15 dogs that free range every day but they are cooped at night. It is covered so that it can stay dry. Are yous wood shavings or straw depending on the temperatures to keep their nests dry and clean.

You could advertise that you dont wash them so that the protective bloom is not washed off with the other gunk. That way its up to the customers if they want to wash them they can, but lots of people know about the bloom and dont wash them anyway. As long as you explain why, it shouldn't deter people from buying. Personally, I would not buy washed hatching eggs, simply because i believe that the way ducks & chickens hatch eggs is better than us humans can and they dont wash eggs. They also dont sit on them with the pointy end down lol

Quote:

So no soaking them in water? My ducks get the eggs so darn dirty. I don't know how they do it. You almost need a brillo pad to get them clean.
I have found that using a damp Magic Eraser to wipe them off they get super clean. It even takes the dirt stains away. I hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom