washing eggs to sell

coldinnh

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2010
NH
ok - I have read the books and leaving the bloom on is better. I have sold a dozen and given away about 3 to family. Sooo - if I take the obvious dirt off with fine grit (or a scrubby) and LET PEOPLE KNOW that they need to wash the egg (I suggest with a vinegar and water mixture 50/50) is this ok.
Or am I being lazy?

I always wash the eggs, just in case someone tries to take us down with complaints. Yes, the blume helps, but a light wash off of anything won't hurt. I never use anything other than plain water though.

I let my customers know that the eggs haven't been washed and that they need to wash them before using. I explain the bloom to those that don't know about it already. Never once have I had a complaint.

At least I keep my nestboxes clean and thus, rarely have a dirty egg. I've seen some of the eggs they sell from individuals at the farmers co-op....nasty! Looks like they were put in the cartons directly from the dirty chicken yard.

I use a damp paper towel to lightly wipe them clean if they are soiled. I have read where you should try not to wash since they will go bad faster. I prefer to wash since I don't like the idea of my other food in the fridge being contaminated in any way..even if the germ is unseen.

Back
Top Bottom