Washing sand for run- is it necessary??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tikkijane, Jun 10, 2011.

1. How does one wash a yard of sand for the run?

Just trying to wrap my head around the volume.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. Why would you need to wash sand?

3. I've been following the sand threads, and the recommendation seems to be to wash the sand before using it. I have no idea if the bagged contruction sand has been washed (would have to find a bag and see if it actually says) but if I have a yard delivered, I guess I'll have to ask them if it's already been washed.

But if it's not, how would a person actually do that to that amount? Seems like it would take days to wash and sift..... [​IMG]

4. And I guess the other part of that is- unless you know it's salt water beach sand, do you have to wash it?

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Never heard of washing sand...I just shoveled out of the truck straight into the run...no ill effects. [​IMG]

6. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    We just spread the sand out - never thought about washing it. I do hose it down once every week or so just to keep it clean ... maybe that would suffice for washing.

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I've heard some play sand has chemicals added to it to reduce bacteria. Could this be what you were told to wash?

8. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I don't know if it's true or not but I once heard that the sand in the bins that they load in your truck by the skiploader has something in it that inhibites the growth of weeds. However, I didn't wash it when I put it in my run and my girls are fine.

9. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    chickens are tough

10. Quote:It was just sand in general, although there were comments that play sand (uncolored) was washed. Past that, the comments have been made to wash it. I know some sand/gravel places do was theirs, but thinking about washing a yard plus has made my head spin, lol. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by