Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

The ducklings are finally hatching and the next batch is ready to transfer to the hatching incubator. I moved one over already because when I candled it had already pipped internally while one duckling is drying off in the dehydrator. I am trying to figure out how to post a picture so hopefully it shows up. Apparently the incubation period for Australian Spotted ducks is the same as other duck breeds. They are so tiny when they hatch since the eggs are chicken egg sized.

ME THINKS I CAN FEEL T-HI & BLUEDUCKLINGS TAKING OVER. SO CUTE. SO WEBBED. MUST NOT DEVIATE FROM THE CHI-UCKLING PATH!!!!! Oh, no! It's. too. Late!!!
The quacks have won!!!(1/4 of the yard :p )

The ducklings are finally hatching and the next batch is ready to transfer to the hatching incubator. I moved one over already because when I candled it had already pipped internally while one duckling is drying off in the dehydrator. I am trying to figure out how to post a picture so hopefully it shows up. Apparently the incubation period for Australian Spotted ducks is the same as other duck breeds. They are so tiny when they hatch since the eggs are chicken egg sized.

omg, cuteness overload!! I never realized they were so tiny really!!
love.gif

Melissa!! I love your name! Had a good friend with one similar!
Have a wondeful evening! Me n Mikeyb are kinda night owls. Me more than recently, but should go back to normal soon!!

My first year of chickens, waddles make me giggle!!!! The ladies seem to be ok and let me put them on my shoulders. My lil' Raider, the 2 year old golden-doodle, Australian Shepard, hasn't eaten the the fluffy butts,
I've fed them unmediated feed and have barely given them supplemental light, yet they seem to enjoy my compost pile on sunny days
hmm.png

big_smile.png
^^ Melissas' Rock!
wink.png

Glad your buddy Raider's doing so well at adjusting to the fellow critters! Aussies can be such cads about sharing
gig.gif
especially with the added temptation of fluffyness! lolz
To chickens, Compost piles are like the downtown strips for teenagers. I always know that's where they'll be finding mischief!
lol.png

Well, guess I shall go pretend that I don't have insomnia. Nooo not at all
roll.png

g'night, and good morning !
frow.gif

Possibly the cutest thing ever!!!

omg, cuteness overload!! I never realized they were so tiny really!!:love
Melissa!! I love your name! Had a good friend with one similar! Have a wondeful evening! Me n Mikeyb are kinda night owls. Me more than recently, but should go back to normal soon!! My first year of chickens, waddles make me giggle!!!! The ladies seem to be ok and let me put them on my shoulders. My lil' Raider, the 2 year old golden-doodle, Australian Shepard, hasn't eaten the the fluffy butts, I've fed them unmediated feed and have barely given them supplemental light, yet they seem to enjoy my compost pile on sunny days :/ :D
^^ Melissas' Rock!;) Glad your buddy Raider's doing so well at adjusting to the fellow critters! Aussies can be such cads about sharing :gig especially with the added temptation of fluffyness! lolz To chickens, Compost piles are like the downtown strips for teenagers. I always know that's where they'll be finding mischief!:lol: Well, guess I shall go pretend that I don't have insomnia. Nooo not at all :rolleyes: g'night, and good morning !:frow
Lol!! Just thinkin the same thing but glad I get to share such crazy thoughts with such awesome peeps!!! Can't thank Farmin Momma enough and THANK YOU!! Can't wait ta meetchya on Monday!

The first one is dry and fluffy now waiting for the others to join it in the brooder (food dehydrator). It is already drinking water from the lid to a small jar of peanut butter.

Last edited:
The first one is dry and fluffy now waiting for the others to join it in the brooder (food dehydrator). It is already drinking water from the lid to a small jar of peanut butter.

love.gif
So cute, congratulations!!!
I had to start candling my eggs early (barely day 6-7) with all this fuzzy joy going on, and woohoo! out of the 12 I've checked so far, 10 are obviously buzzing with busyness!!
celebrate.gif
two are dark blue, so hopefully maybe it's just my whimpy light (brightest Light app)
gig.gif

Now I'm really not gonna sleep
lau.gif

Whoa! Some serious night owls out there, but where are all the early birds? It's pretty lonely here this morning!

DS and DH are over that the pond for the kids fishing derby, and DD and I are lounging around enjoying the quiet. Aaah!
big_smile.png

Congratulations on the baby duckies. SOOOOOO cute!
wee.gif

--Nikki

I'm a night owl and early bird. Last night was my 1st hatch of call duck babies and I have 5 more gonna hatch today so I'm glad to the incubator

Whoa!  Some serious night owls out there, but where are all the early birds?  It's pretty lonely here this morning!

DS and DH are over that the pond for the kids fishing derby, and DD and I are lounging around enjoying the quiet.  Aaah!:D

Congratulations on the baby duckies.  SOOOOOO cute!:weee

--Nikki

We had Emperor's Palace take out; sat eating it on the deck.

We heard this terrible commotion in the goat house, so had to go take a look. Agatha (the older goat) had 2 babies on the ground, and one more popped out as we watched.
Three more baby goats!

She was cleaning them, and had no problem with them nursing, except they didn't manage to stand up very long. One inadvertantly tried nursing on Taffy, who was not amused. Taffy is keeping her little girl in the corner and watching so carefully. I had hoped Taffy would take one of Agatha's if she had three, so that they each would have two. Oh well.

Himself is down there now, keeping an eye on them - I'm (was) cleaning up kitchen and finishing laundry.
Congratulations!
X2 on the corn. My girls go nuts for kale. It grows easily and you can leave it in over the winter and continue feeding it to them. Mine even started re-growing this spring so I have more to tide them over until the new seeds grow up. They like all the greens I grow actually, but kale seems to be their favorite. The also go nut for any kind of berries. It's hilarious watching them try to jump straight up about 3' to get blue berries and raspberries. Be sure to plant a few pumpkins. They love the guts, and I understand the seeds are a natural de-wormer.

I should mention, I put leafy greens into a suet feeder so they can peck at it. They really like that and less gets wasted on the ground.
Kale, huh? Got it!
When I had chickens previously, I purposely picked 2 that looked different, hoping for different colored eggs. I ended up getting one pullet and one roo, even though they were supposedly all pullets. This time, I picked 2 that looked similar. I still am confused about Buckbeak, as she has a much bigger tail and the hackle feathers seem to be longer and pointier. She does not crow, but does puff the chest out and flap, as if she wants to crow. The comb looks the same as Hermione's though. I am to the point where I guess I will wait and see if they both lay when the time comes. I just have a few weeks left. Also
fl.gif
. I seem to have not had much luck with these batches. 2 of my 4 white leghorns seem to be roos. And yesterday, I noticed that my little Andalusian was chest bumping one of the leghorns, so I am starting to have doubts about that one as well. Ugh. Oh well. The only thing, is DH says that the ones I don't want to keep will be going to freezer camp. I am a little worried about how I will handle that. I have never done that and it freaks me out a little lot.
Will the hubby do it with you the first time? Might be good to have some moral support?
My grandpa always grew watermelon when I was a kid, but we tried it last year and had no luck with it. Although, we didn't have great success with any crop last year, except zucchini and peas. It was hard with us both working longer hours. I am going to try again this year though, just to see.
Here I was, thinking I'm the only person IN THE WORLD who can't grow zucchini....
roll.png
wink.png

My Standard Of Perfection book comes today!!! Woot!!! Now I can feel more like a "real" breeder!

Does anyone here raise geese? I have a little flock of Pilgrims, and one who has maybe decided to brood is off her eggs (again). She's made 2 nests, one I took her off when I moved all the geese to their new pen 2 days ago, and now another one already in the new pen. Should I take the eggs to incubate, or is getting off the eggs normal for geese? I can't imagine it's good....

Thanks, and I'll take the answer off the air, cuz I need to go do something "busy" now, darn it!.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom