Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

So I have posted a few times but never introduced myself. I'm misty from Bremerton wa. I'm newish to chicken raising and am learning so much from this site. I get up and have my coffee and read on here everyday. I am human mom to 1 SLW, 1 GLW , 2 polish , 5 light brahmas , 1 mutt roo, 3 EE , and 2 khaki Campbells.

Well hello there neighbor! Nice to have you here. Judging from your head count I think you might be outside the city limits? We just might have to share a cup of coffee some time! I have 2 hens and three pullets, and NOBODY is laying right now or yet as age dictates.
lau.gif

Here is the little bantam EE with his tiny crow! It's so quiet I'm not even worried about the neighbors (yet).
lol.png

These cute EE and d'Uccle chicks will be six weeks tomorrow. Two of the d'Uccles and both bantam EE's are boys and available for free to anyone on BYC. Send me a message!

eta - the EEs are a cross between bantam Ameracauna and Phoenix - so they have a possiblity for a beautiful, long tail!

That's TOO funny!
lau.gif
He's starting pretty young isn't he?

ok so.. In my flock my only Roo is a polish crested. They forage in the backyard for most of the day, and stay in their coop on the rainy days. Last 3 mo or so the roo has been bullying the polish hen with matching color. He chases her away when she goes to be part of the flock with the other hens. I have tried separating him for up to 2 weeks at a time. After a day or so he goes right back to bullying that one hen. Now that hen is always off alone and wont even let us come near her. Any thoughts on how to fix this issue? Or is he BBQ?

also...

So I want to make sure I have this right. I am building coop & run for my chickens. I have a total of 13 chickens when the 6 peepers in the brooder are old enough(2 RIR, 2 brown sussex, 2 white leghorn). So my run is 24x8. so by my math thas 192 sq. ft. right? Divide that by 13 chickens, that's almost 15 sq ft per bird? I think I read somewhere that you need some amount of square footage per bird. yet I cannot find it. So.... is my math correct, and what is the preferred footage per bird?

Hi... can't speak to the rooster issue, good luck with that one.
The amount of space is partly math, partly personal preference. Generally speaking, the rule of thumb is 10sf per bird minimum. If you want anything to grow and survive (like grass) you need a LOT more than that. You may come to think the space is too small as you watch them run around, or you may not. That's the personal preference part of it. I built my pen at the "correct" size then decided they looked cramped so enlarged it -- twice. I think you'll find, as many of us have, that you should give them as much room as your space will allow right from the get go so you don't have to do it over later. If you've already done that, then you'll learn to adjust as needed.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hello all! Just checking, since I just found this thread. New to BYC as a member, been nosing about on it for years. Want to start raising H. RIR and play with some interesting banties that fell in my lap recently (see avatar). On the Olympic peninsula, looking to make contact in real life with some chicken breeding enthusiasts :). Thanks everyone!
-Aleta G.

Hi... on the Kitsap Peninsula here. I just have layers, no breeding. But love hearing all the conversation and enjoying going to the poultry shows. Lots of good breeders in the group though.
Welcome!

Well hello there neighbor!  Nice to have you here. Judging from your head count I think you might be outside the city limits?   We just might have to share a cup of coffee some time!  I have 2 hens and three pullets, and NOBODY is laying right now or yet as age dictates.  :lau   

Yes I'm not in the city limits.... in the gorst area. Mine are not laying yet I still have many weeks to go. Mine all were hatched around Easter.

So I have posted a few times but never introduced myself. I'm misty from Bremerton wa. I'm newish to chicken raising and am learning so much from this site. I get up and have my coffee and read on here everyday. I am human mom to 1 SLW, 1 GLW , 2 polish , 5 light brahmas , 1 mutt roo, 3 EE , and 2 khaki Campbells.

Sounds like my morning :) coffee and byc. I am new to chickens and this site and I have found it to be amazingly helpful.

So I want to make sure I have this right. I am building coop & run for my chickens. I have a total of 13 chickens when the 6 peepers in the brooder are old enough(2 RIR, 2 brown sussex, 2 white leghorn). So my run is 24x8. so by my math thas 192 sq. ft. right? Divide that by 13 chickens, that's almost 15 sq ft per bird? I think I read somewhere that you need some amount of square footage per bird. yet I cannot find it. So.... is my math correct, and what is the preferred footage per bird?
I'm growing out some birds right now - when they go out of the brooders, they will have about 411 sq feet per bird. Personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom