Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

This weekend's hatch. Two RC Anconas (only two fertile out of a dozen that I won in a raffle at the Mother Earth News Fair earlier this month) and a miracle Barred Rock that I hatched for a friend. The eggs got lost in mail for 5 days, but threw them in anyway and got one chick out, it's weak and looks like it might have a foot issue but will hope it survives.

Well...today I got soaked to the skin three times, turned the four d'Anvers cockerels Kristen wanted over to her and got eggs to put under the Quail pullet, who is sitting hard (but only covers seven eggs; anybody got one of those tiny classroom 2-3 egg incubators I could borrow?) captured the four Hamburgs who were loose in the bathroom and redid the security on their bin, fed everything, watered everything that needed water, picked up eggs... cut leaves for the sheep, did other sheep related stuff, and potted up another wedding planter... the longest I sat down between 9am and 10:30pm was when we were driving to Centralia and back, only we met up in Grand Mound instead.

And yet I'm still sitting here instead of being in bed, what is wrong with me?

Sometimes, after a VERY long day, I'm so wired "I" can't sleep either.

Right now I'm looking at the dog and thinking about you. I could use some sheep shears - she's looking decidedly "sheepish". Gave her some ace and taking her to the groomer in an hour or so. I might break down and buy some clippers and do her myself.

Just one more animal chore!

Oh, and that rose - I got up the morning after and the kitchen smelled so good, took me a minute to figure out it was the rose I'd put on the windowsill. So fragrant
smile.png

Sometimes, after a VERY long day, I'm so wired "I" can't sleep either. 

Right now I'm looking at the dog and thinking about you. I could use some sheep shears - she's looking decidedly "sheepish". Gave her some ace and taking her to the groomer in an hour or so. I might break down and buy some clippers and do her myself.

Just one more animal chore!

Oh, and that rose - I got up the morning after and the kitchen smelled so good, took me a minute to figure out it was the rose I'd put on the windowsill. So fragrant :)

My whole yard smels of fementing roses after the weird weather the past few days.

Clipping an Airdale would be easier than clipping a sheep (except for the wiggling): their hair is so much coarser and sparser. I'd volunteer except for the whole lack of time and transportation thing. A month and a day until the wedding, good grief.

Hi there! Funny, one of the chicks I got this weekend looks just like those ancona pics - but he's some sort of bantam cross. Here's the email Deborah sent me about them. I am re-homing them; I really shouldn't have taken them home, need to focus. Might trade if anyone has OEGB's that are porcelain or have other traits in common with the ones I have. Or for HRIR eggs/pullet... Or something... Or guaranteed access to an incubator at some point... or a home-made incubator... :) Having trouble posting pics at the mo' will asap.

Heres the short version of her email, [ ] are my notes:
"Hi,
The two girl/boy pairs are Rhodebars -- http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/rhodebar/ [If I didn't have my heart set on HRIR, and not want to import more, this looks like the way to go, peeps]
The small black/white one still a baby is a mix of chocolate and chocolate cuckoo bantam English Orpingtons. It isn't quite what it should be, though, so it'll look quite different than these -- http://www.jordan-farm.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21
The 4 black ones with white highlights are Birchen Marans -- http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/marans [not sexed yet, prob 2 hens I think, also look amazing]
There are the [3] Icelandic roos....and I think that's all?? [note, click on her website for pics of these... could turn out like any of those pictured; very cool looking]

Deborah S.
www.berrytanglefarm.com
"

I've been busy, so how is everyone doing? I'm trying to get the place clean so we can have a few friends over on the 4 plus I want to quilt a couple of table runners for it too.
I have a hatch that I just put into lock down HOPE it's a good one. We have had a bad time with power going out here.. I do have to say the Marans and Orps are great at hatching but now the Legbars.. I have this hatch and one more than I'm done, I think.

Just had my last hatch of the season. 7 Cream Legbars. 4 boys and 3 girls, I "think", but 2 of the boys are very dark, so harder to tell. I have asked their breeder her opinion, so we will see what I really have. Either way, I am THRILLED to finally get some pullets!

Had to look those up... they're awfully pretty. And autosexing like the Rhodebars? Are they LEGhorn/Barred rock originally and now a true breed unto themselves? It's probably on this site SOMEWHERE...

update on my injured black maran... he or she seems much better, attempting to stand and eating without being prompted. Good signs. I have his/her under wing wounds sealed w superglue, coated in antibiotic ointment, and I taped a fleece cover over 'em cause it kept losing the sterile gauze. It's on my kitchen counter. Bad hygiene, but it was thoroughly washed with iodine and saline first thing, so as long as I keep up with the poop, and clean constantly...

Back to the kitchen, I hear peeping...
-AG

Hi there! Funny, one of the chicks I got this weekend looks just like those ancona pics - but he's some sort of bantam cross. Here's the email Deborah sent me about them. I am re-homing them; I really shouldn't have taken them home, need to focus. Might trade if anyone has OEGB's that are porcelain or have other traits in common with the ones I have. Or for HRIR eggs/pullet... Or something... Or guaranteed access to an incubator at some point... or a home-made incubator... :) Having trouble posting pics at the mo' will asap.

Heres the short version of her email, [ ] are my notes:
"Hi,
The two girl/boy pairs are Rhodebars -- http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/rhodebar/ [If I didn't have my heart set on HRIR, and not want to import more, this looks like the way to go, peeps]
The small black/white one still a baby is a mix of chocolate and chocolate cuckoo bantam English Orpingtons. It isn't quite what it should be, though, so it'll look quite different than these -- http://www.jordan-farm.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21
The 4 black ones with white highlights are Birchen Marans -- http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/marans [not sexed yet, prob 2 hens I think, also look amazing]
There are the [3] Icelandic roos....and I think that's all?? [note, click on her website for pics of these... could turn out like any of those pictured; very cool looking]

Deborah S.
www.berrytanglefarm.com
"

Those sound so interesting. If I had room I'd be very interested in the Birchen Marans. How old are these chicks? I'd easily trade my Barnie, but she's the only layer I have right now. Oh well...
yippiechickie.gif
Good Luck making some good trades, I'm sure you'll find takers.

eta: glad your black marans is doing better, a rather cute table decoration to boot!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom