Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hello everyone. I am currently living in Las Vegas NV but I am working towards relocating to WA. I'm not sure where yet, depends on where I get hired. I'm looking for a place to rent that has some land and will allow pets. Am I asking for too much? How hard is it to rent there? I have two dogs and 6 chickens that I will be bringing with me.
Thanks for any info.
Ricki

Hello everyone. I am currently living in Las Vegas NV but I am working towards relocating to WA. I'm not sure where yet, depends on where I get hired. I'm looking for a place to rent that has some land and will allow pets. Am I asking for too much? How hard is it to rent there? I have two dogs and 6 chickens that I will be bringing with me.
Thanks for any info.
Ricki
W-ell... that depends. It's a very big state, and cities are wildly different. And the cities are all even more wildly different than the rural areas. I live on the Olympic Peninsula, and *renting* with dogs is harder than with chickens... but you still have to know you'll be fixing the lawn (and flooring) before you move. And roosters are welcome or not depending on neighborhood bylaws that often trump the city ordinances. You'll have to settle on that job first, I think, and we'll all be happy to fill you in!

Good luck!

Can you tell me more details on him? I have SFH and have two roos but your is awfully darn cute!

Diane
Well, he's about 17 weeks old. He's been on organic feed, occasional meat scraps and yogurt, and is out in the yard most of the day to eat grass/bugs. I don't handle him more than necessary (mostly just at night when I sneak him into a box to dull/delay him crowing), and he seems to know I'm the head rooster. He'll run across the yard to greet me when I come out of the house, but if I'm shooing him into the coop or away from the house, he scatters. He's filled out a LOT in the last month, and has a nice broad chest, but is still hilariously small. I can take a few photos tomorrow, but if you're interested let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!

My babies :)

Remember back in spring I got that tiny Austalian shepherd/GSD puppy? he's almost 7 months old now. :)

This is Oscar, He's got a lot of issues. He's my Australian cattle dog mix

my baby muscovy ducks

My dogs watching out for the baby ducklings

My kiddy pool fish pond

Two of my adult muscovys

One of the bantoms i took from my moms

The baby ducklings coming at me.

Hope- was supposed to be a RIR but she's not. She lays extremely dark (chocolate colored) eggs. not sure what she is but she's a great hen

Well, he's about 17 weeks old. He's been on organic feed, occasional meat scraps and yogurt, and is out in the yard most of the day to eat grass/bugs. I don't handle him more than necessary (mostly just at night when I sneak him into a box to dull/delay him crowing), and he seems to know I'm the head rooster. He'll run across the yard to greet me when I come out of the house, but if I'm shooing him into the coop or away from the house, he scatters. He's filled out a LOT in the last month, and has a nice broad chest, but is still hilariously small. I can take a few photos tomorrow, but if you're interested let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!
Does he have a crest? I am interested. I have two roo, neither have a crest and I want a crested roo.

>snip<
He is incredibly sweet - he adores Himself; he was ecstatic when he got up and petted him this morning. But he is blocky - a bit intimidating at first.
>snip<

Thank you all for the comments. Yes, his head, neck and shoulders are massive. Also, when he barked at the UPS guy today, I found his bark terrifying, very low and menacing. I'm glad he's taken a strong liking to us. He did manage to open the gate and go walkabout while I was in the bathroom - Airedale waited til I let her out and she fetched him back (which I find remarkable since she goes walkabout whenever she can!).

The really good news is his reaction to the goats, ducks and chickens - NO reaction! The Airedale on the other hand would eat any and all of them if given the chance.

The worst part of this whole thing though, is having them gaze adoringly into my face all the time, from only a few feet away - I haven't got anything done today (a bit of jealousy on Scruff's part, and him wanting so much to be accepted I think).

This is what I know about Airedales: I've never known one which did not want to go a'roving!

I've been busy this week with my new apprentice/housemate/ young'un; also overdid last night and woke my ribs up, and feeling a bit over-done today. I need to try to get your pullets to you next week, but I also have a doctor's appointment and some other conflicts so maybe the week after.

This is what I know about Airedales: I've never known one which did not want to go a'roving!

I've been busy this week with my new apprentice/housemate/ young'un; also overdid last night and woke my ribs up, and feeling a bit over-done today. I need to try to get your pullets to you next week, but I also have a doctor's appointment and some other conflicts so maybe the week after.
Himself got the ditch dug and the electric fence put in over the weekend - nobody wants to go a'roving anymore
wink.png

I'm sorry it's not going well for you, but now you have the apprentice, maybe some light at the end of the tunnel?!?!!?

I can always come and pick up chickies of it's more convenient for you.

Does he have a crest? I am interested. I have two roo, neither have a crest and I want a crested roo.

Nope, he's uncrested. I promised my partner I'd deal with him by today, so looks like we're having chicken for dinner! In the spring I'll have to see if you have some SFH chicks, though. :)

The woman from Auburn called me today about trading my splash English Orpington rooster for hers and I told her I could sell her the rooster but I don't want any more birds from the pen because the Frizzle she sold me died. She asked me what Frizzle hen I was talking about and I told her the one she sold me and then moved to another pen to hatch eggs for her. All she had to say was "Fiddlesticks" and then she asked if I had any roosters I need to get rid of. I told her I have some roosters for sale for $10 and she said that would not work because that is what she sells her roosters for. She has already screwed me over twice and now she is going for a third strike! She could have offered to pay a fair price for the rooster she wanted but she did not seem to care that the hen died, nor did she sound at all surprised. I am going to stick to hatching my own flock and hatching hard to find breeds to sell. I am not buying or trading any more adult chickens because there is too much risk of getting screwed. I enjoy hatching and raising the chicks more anyway.

My husband built a food pantry in our shop for my birthday so now the spare room can be used for my birds. I have some more shuffling furniture around and I am moving craft stuff (from when I was a Girl Scout leader) into the office hutches, which requires moving paperwork out, but when I get done I should have a nice hatchery and brooder set-up. With colder weather coming I will need to keep chicks indoors longer than I have over the summer but my last batch of ducklings (Call ducks) should be ready to move out before it starts getting colder.

My own Silkies are laying again after hatching eggs so it is back to incubating and brooding them indoors. From what I have read, Silkies lay all year so I am hoping to keep haching. My first hatches are in the yard with the big girls now and they are so darn cute. Hopefully I have mostly girls because I have five roosters with my two grays I bough ending up as boys when I was hoping for girls. I am not sure how gray mixes with BBS so I am not sure if I will use them or not. One looks like he might be getting some red in his wing feathers but I am not certain what color that would make him! If I get some cute color combinations that are pet quality I won't mind since I am not showing them. I originally got some to use as incubators and brooders, not realizing how much I would like them. I have some splash chicks I am really hoping will be hens because they are unrelated to my blue and splash roosters. The red rooster is the most dominant but he will have to go at some point because I like the BBS best. I only have two buff hens and only one seems to be laying (the smaller one that has the least fluff, of course).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom