Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I adore my chickens. I had no idea how much fun they can be. I have my first broody hen right now. She is sitting on 5 eggs right now. We have about 6 days left till hatch. I sure hope we get at least one chick. :)

So I ordered an exotic (duck) and he was very quiet, very slow and a little "too" calm compared to the female that came with him. Well after 3 days of having him I found that he had curled up in a ball and died. I contacted the seller and he hasn't recommended anything. I'm pretty upset and I can't figure out anything I did that may have hurt this duck, I just know he was always very calm (we thought he liked us more, but we're thinking it was more likely that he was dying this entire time.)

Now, I can't just have the one duck as they're social and my goal was to only have 2, but I don't know if I want to work with this seller again as I think he should've tried to remedy the situation or at the very least offered a replacement or something like a refund... I have been contemplating selling the female because I don't want her to be miserable, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? What do I do now?

So I ordered an exotic (duck) and he was very quiet, very slow and a little "too" calm compared to the female that came with him. Well after 3 days of having him I found that he had curled up in a ball and died. I contacted the seller and he hasn't recommended anything. I'm pretty upset and I can't figure out anything I did that may have hurt this duck, I just know he was always very calm (we thought he liked us more, but we're thinking it was more likely that he was dying this entire time.)

Now, I can't just have the one duck as they're social and my goal was to only have 2, but I don't know if I want to work with this seller again as I think he should've tried to remedy the situation or at the very least offered a replacement or something like a refund... I have been contemplating selling the female because I don't want her to be miserable, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? What do I do now?
Hmm.
A. What breed? Maybe someone has an 'extra' drake?
B. If it just happened, http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/poultry/AHFSL-SubmittingBirdsforNecropsyNov2012.pdf you can prepare and mail the body here for a necropsy. That way you know if it was communicable. If so, a copy of the report might rattle the sellers cage a little.
For your own sake, you might want to know if it's something the rest of your ducks have been exposed to. IMHO.

hugs.gif
Sucks to lose them.

Hmm.
A. What breed? Maybe someone has an 'extra' drake?
B. If it just happened, http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/poultry/AHFSL-SubmittingBirdsforNecropsyNov2012.pdf you can prepare and mail the body here for a necropsy. That way you know if it was communicable. If so, a copy of the report might rattle the sellers cage a little.
For your own sake, you might want to know if it's something the rest of your ducks have been exposed to. IMHO.

hugs.gif
Sucks to lose them.

Breed is White-Faced Whistling duck (not very common, I know, my fault falling in love with a duck I saw at the zoo)

And I will look into the necropsy thing. I would need to get my husband's okay on that. My husband was really torn up about this but something told me to keep the duck. Hopefully this will help.

Well, that was not the most fun weekend ever, was it?

The chickens are all severely displeased with my management of the weather, that's for sure.

Well, that was not the most fun weekend ever, was it?

The chickens are all severely displeased with my management of the weather, that's for sure.

My chickens love the rain. I figure they must be Washingtonian Chickens already. They like all the bugs it brings out. and I think they like even more that their waterer never gets below completely full.

Back
Top Bottom