Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I have hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Up until now, I've only had reactions when I cleaned the coop. I get someone else to do it. Yesterday, I had a reaction after the poultry show for the first time. That means no more poultry shows for me. I'm seriously bummed.

It's just a matter of time until I have to get rid of the chickens.

That sucks. Ignorant here but is it something a mask would help? Like Tom Durgin wears to shows or like Holderread used to wear to shows?

I have hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Up until now, I've only had reactions when I cleaned the coop. I get someone else to do it. Yesterday, I had a reaction after the poultry show for the first time. That means no more poultry shows for me. I'm seriously bummed.

It's just a matter of time until I have to get rid of the chickens.
Can it be treated like an allergy to pollen?
There is acupuncture with herbs for that.
Hope.

I have asthma but I don't have frequent symptoms unless there is a trigger like purfume. I can't take artificially scented products and the detergent aisle at the store makes me sick. The potpourri they use in stores at Christmas (some stores are scented with noxious fumes year round) prevents me from shopping for a period of time (Christmas stuff comes out before Halloween now). I tried to go to our Walmart yesterday but had to leave when I waked in the doorway because there was potpourri right in front of the store, not just in the Christmas section. The headache and coughing, plus the nauseous feeling, are bad enough but the coughing can get so bad that I risk peeing my pants! I can use my inhaler for symptoms a couple of times but then I end up needing my nebulizer. I hate trips to the ER because the Prednisone makes me almost as sick as the exposure. I feel for people with pet allergies who have to go to the ER because someone needed to take their dog to the grocery store with them and threatened someone else's life for their own comfort. My grandfather was so allergic to cats and had asthma so bad that visiting him in his own home with a single cat hair on our clothes could have killed him. My cats have always been outdoors to keep too much hair from collecting in my home (and I don't like my house to smell like cat urine).

When people have food allergies they at least have control over what they eat but for people with asthma, going through the grocery line after someone doused in purfume can trigger an attack. I am also allergic to chlorine, which would be easy enough to avoid if it were not also in our water! I have to buy water because tap water makes me sick. There are so many toxic chemicals in our environment that we can't avoid them all. The more I get sick, the more I want to avoid going anywhere.

So... for those of you showing at the WFF show over the weekend, how did you do?  Pictures of your entries would be really nice, too.

I did really well!
I had Champion Large Fowl, Champion Asiatic, BB & BV with my Black Cochin Pullet

Also had RB & RV on my Large Fowl Black Cochin cockerel

BV on my Large Fowl Golden Laced pullet, RV on my LF Golden Laced cockerel, 1st on my LF Golden Phoenix pullet, 1st on my LF Blue Sumatra pullet, BB & BV on my Bantam Black Sumatra cockerel, 2nd on my bantam Black sumatra pullet, RV on my bantam Blue Sumatra Cockerel, 1st on Bantam Black Cochin cock bird, 2nd on my Black Ameraucana cockerel, RV on my Columbian Plymouth Rock cockerel, RB & BV on my Black d'Anver pullet, BV on my Self-Blue d'Anver pullet and RV on my Self-Blue Cuckoo pullet.

How did everyone else do? It was such a fun show!

My concern about chicken illness is also the result of having chicks die that I bought as chicks instead of hatching them myself. They were in an outdoor brooder while my chicks are indoors but since this person has spent over $500 for a breeding pair of chickens I trusted his flock was healthy. These were chicks that were hatched in a professional incubator and hatcher while I use Little Giant incubators to hatch my own (with great results but some people don't get them to work well for them and go with more expensice incubators). I had two chicks that looked weak when I got home and they both died. They were older chicks mixed in with younger chicks that needed more heat so I thought I overheated them on the way home. Then I have lost two more that were trampled when I found them so I did not know what hapened to them. A few days ago I had another older chick down that was getting trampled so I pulled it out and noticed that it seemed to be having tremors when I held it on its back. It was keeping both legs stretched out in front of it so I was trying to figure out if there was something wrong with its legs. Looked up symptoms online and came up with a possible diagnosis of AE (Avian Encephalomyelitis) but the chick is older than three weeks so I am not sure if it is accurate. All the chicks that died are older than three weeks but less than 6 weeks old. According to what I read, if they survive they are immune but I don't know if they are carriers. It will be awhile before these chicks go outside but now I am wondering if my flock will be infected if that is what is causing chicks to die. I am also worried that my own chicks that I am hatching could be infected. I use plastic tubs for brooders with chicks of different ages in each tub so only one tub has had deaths but a second tub has chicks from the same breeder and could be infected as well. It sounds like symptoms in adults are not serious if they were to get it but it can be transmitted to their eggs (although a symptom of AEV is decreased egg production for two weeks). I may have infected my own Orpington and Silkie chicks with these other chicks but then they would basically be vaccinated from exposure, if I am understanding the virus exposure creating resistance theory correctly. Would this mean that I have nothing to worry about besides a handful of dead chicks or do I have a serious epidemic to contend with? Do I need to destroy all the exposed chicks or will they benefit from the exposure if that is what I am dealing with? Should I figure out how to test for it is any more die (only one death seems like it could be AEV at this point and that is based on my suspicion, not conclusive testing) or do I just take the losses and hope it is nothing serious?

I made the mistake of buying a trio from an unethical woman in Auburn and both hens from that trio died shortly after I got them (one a day or two after I brought her home and the other about a month after I brought her home). They both died suddenly without symptoms and nothing else has died so I am hopefully it was just the stress she put them through by separating them when she kept one of them to sit on eggs for her. The rooster they were with was fine but I still do not trust buying anything from this woman again. Chances are the hens were spent before she sold them to me and that is why she was selling them (they were supposed to be laying but neither one did, although the second one that she held did not have much of a chance because it died so soon after I got her home.

My hope with having a flock that is routinely tested for NPIP is that they would catch any diseases and diagnose them for me so I would know how to keep my flock disease free. Is that realistic or will all flocks have some sort of diseases that birds build antibodies to so they don't get sick. I know stress makes birds more prone to disease so adding new birds can cause stress for the new birds and the established birds as well. I want to keep a closed flock and only add chicks I have hatched and raised since that is what I have always done in the past and my chickens were always healthy but now I am afraid that adding chicks from someone else may have posed a threat to my flock. Also, what if I sell healthy birds that have been exposed to something they have a resistance against but the flock they are going to has not already been exposed? Would I risk getting someone else's flock sick by selling them my birds?

I had an older chick get into the duck water this summer and when I pulled it out of the water it was sneezing. I thought that was good to get any water out of its lungs so I did not think to treat it with antibiotics. A friend wanted the chick and I told her about the sneezing when I delivered it with another chick she wanted. She had another bird that was sneezing so she put the chick from me with her young rooster to treat both with antibiotics. Her rooster recovered while the chick I sold her did not recover and died 6 to 8 weeks later. Then the other bird she got from me died suddenly 5 to 6 months after she got her. Nothing else seems to have been effected on my property or on her property so we don't know what happened. The not knowing scares me the most, though, because I don't know how to solve a problem until I can identify the problem.

I have hatched and raised hundreds of chicks this summer without problems so having so many losses from the chicks I bought from someone else concerns me. I am going to stick with no more birds coming in but what about birds here and birds going out? How can I be certain none of my birds are diseased when I have had five chicks die from a batch of 18 chicks?

I did really well!
I had Champion Large Fowl, Champion Asiatic, BB & BV with my Black Cochin Pullet

Also had RB & RV on my Large Fowl Black Cochin cockerel

BV on my Large Fowl Golden Laced pullet, RV on my LF Golden Laced cockerel, 1st on my LF Golden Phoenix pullet, 1st on my LF Blue Sumatra pullet, BB & BV on my Bantam Black Sumatra cockerel, 2nd on my bantam Black sumatra pullet, RV on my bantam Blue Sumatra Cockerel, 1st on Bantam Black Cochin cock bird, 2nd on my Black Ameraucana cockerel, RV on my Columbian Plymouth Rock cockerel, RB & BV on my Black d'Anver pullet, BV on my Self-Blue d'Anver pullet and RV on my Self-Blue Cuckoo pullet.

How did everyone else do? It was such a fun show!

Congratulations! Great showing! That pullet is gorgeous, was admiring it before judging!

My winnings aren't nearly as awesome. I ended up taking RV Spangled Old English Game Bantam with a pullet.

and RV Silver Pencilled Plymouth Rock Large Fowl (no picture because she kept looking dumpy).

Back
Top Bottom