Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

all of my chickens are dead! we had a few bald eagles and racoons that ate them all!
You've had a traumatic run of bad luck... where are you? Do we start networking to help you pull together a new flock, or wait until you've raccoon proofed your runs?
hugs.gif

all of my chickens are dead! we had a few bald eagles and racoons that ate them all!
Oh no!

I am so sorry for your losses!!

Here are some thoughts on the future (don't read if you aren't ready to think about the future):

Try making a Fort Knox pen if you are getting raccoon attacks - there are many runs you can see in the coop section of BYC - just see how they did the run with the "hardware cloth apron" so you don't have to bury fencing, and fencing on top that can take a snow load (framed with wood or something). That way if you see a predator you can put them in lockdown for a few days, or you can leave them in the Fort Knox coop and run full-time.

Some areas are just worse than others for predators.

Many of the hatcheries are taking orders for 2014 chicks. Think it over and hopefully you can find the strength to try again after you mourn the loss of your babies.

Again, I am so sorry this happened. I too have recently had what I think was a coon attack, and also hawk attacks. It is heartbreaking.

Oh no!

I am so sorry for your losses!!

Here are some thoughts on the future (don't read if you aren't ready to think about the future):

Try making a Fort Knox pen if you are getting raccoon attacks - there are many runs you can see in the coop section of BYC - just see how they did the run with the "hardware cloth apron" so you don't have to bury fencing, and fencing on top that can take a snow load (framed with wood or something). That way if you see a predator you can put them in lockdown for a few days, or you can leave them in the Fort Knox coop and run full-time.

Some areas are just worse than others for predators.

Many of the hatcheries are taking orders for 2014 chicks. Think it over and hopefully you can find the strength to try again after you mourn the loss of your babies.

Again, I am so sorry this happened. I too have recently had what I think was a coon attack, and also hawk attacks. It is heartbreaking.
thanks! we really live in a bad place to have chickens! all of our neighbors have chicken-eater dogs, we also have lots of bald eagles, raccoons, owls and opossums

Back
Top Bottom