Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Well..............................we have been nailing down Hickory 3/4" flooring in the living/dinning/kitchen for the last 2 days.......and let me tell ya how my ham strings feel.....oh and what about my kneesles ??????????????????

BUTTT...the floor looks gorgeous and has to be done ASAP cuz the appliances are due TUESDAY!
We may be IN BY CHRISTMAS after all!

That said, the heat pump in the house is AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That and the gravity fed cold water we have here in the cabin is FROZEN.
The new 2000 gal tanks and pumphouse feeding the house are FINE...all enclosed and snuggly warm.........................
The coops here are bordering on about 32 degrees..............the water IN the coops was glassed over lightly with ice...and the low outside here was 17...............NO standard comb birds had any sign of frostbite, so I am happy about this.
I must say, I do not recall EVER having such dry cold weather in NOV & DEC....................usually we have this clear, dry super cold weather in January....so that is strange !
Gotta go...my ham strings hurt so bad it hurts to SIT DOWN>>>>LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!
lau.gif

Note to TC::::
I am planning on hatching 15-20 ducklings and butchering at 14 weeks (right ?)
Mario still has some, and also still has crested Pekins (if you are interested)
I am still going to look into production Roens....they are some BIG ducks....worthy of the hassel to raise them for 3-4 months !

gig.gif
IDK if it is a good thing to "train" dogs WITH geese around, or if having geese around will just tick the dogs off and make them more revengful on smaller fowl ?
Funny story though !

My dogs are very respectful of the geese. I taught them to leave all poultry alone. However most of them herd the chickens in the coop if I tell them do so.....otherwise they know they are off limits. But all of my birds are in pens, unless I let them free range. I do have my layer loose in one pond pasture and the dogs ignore them. I start training them at a young age and keep on top of it. My LGD have learned to leave them alone and will protect them.

I am not going to get into an argument on him...we obviously have different opinions. Some of these "taps" are a bit much (dog legs go in the air) and no way I would use them on my dogs. As well as alpha rolls and leash choking.  type in "millan kicking dogs" and you will see some videos that are not my cup of tea.

We are going to agree to disagree on this subject.
I'm finding this conversation to be quite educational actually. It's motivating me to really look at what Cesar is doing in the videos. I watched the "kicking" video as you suggested but honestly they look like nudges more than anything. Sometimes the dog is startled enough to jump, if that's what you mean by "legs go up in the air". I'd jump too if someone nudged me in the flank and I wasn't expecting it, doesn't mean it's painful.None of the "kicks" in that video resulted in a dog being knocked down, not even close. Its pretty obvious when the dog moved it was because of the dogs reaction to the tap, not the tap itself. Again... You just can't generate that much force kicking across and behind like that.

Also when he picks a dog's front legs up with the collar it's because the dog is attacking him or another dog, skateboarder etc. The purpose is to restrain the dog from biting the handler, not to choke the dog. As soon as the dog switches from aggression to escape, he lets it down, usually in less than 5 seconds. It looks crazy and out of control especially with big dogs but he usually times it well which you'll see if you look past the drama.

Hey guys! Just joined and got my first personal flock. Been helping others for 3 years though. Anyone know a place in kitsap that has cheap, damaged, or recycled wood?

Also, been getting a "your account does not have permission to access this page" message when trying to add a breed to a list, any ideas?

I have nice coop set up, it just needs some work. The chickens were given to me by my neighbor so the birds don't have to move at all. But it's pretty much a house frame with chicken wire. They have what could be considered an indoor nesting section but I've yet to see them use it.

So I want to adjust it to make it cozier. I just bought them feeders and waterers and they seem much happier from just that. Before I'm pretty sure they were thrown a handful of feed a day, always seemed hungry but not since my feeders
smile.png

But anyways, basically I have a well framed coop that needs expanding, so walls and flooring.
smile.png

Hi there Ducky, and Welcome to the group!
welcome-byc.gif

For recycled wood, have you tried the Habitat store? There's one in E. Bremerton and another in Belfair. I'm sure there are others but I don't know the locations specifically.

You mentioned chicken wire. If you literally mean chicken wire I'd like to strongly suggest that you use something heavier and with a smaller opening. We have a LOT of racoons, coyotes, and neighbor dogs that can easily get over, under, and through chicken wire. Many people will use 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the bottom 2 feet and 2" x 4" welded wire for the rest. Plus an apron 18 to 24" to deter digging. You may already know all this and if so, please excuse the redundancy. And again, thanks for joining us!

Hi there Ducky, and Welcome to the group!
welcome-byc.gif

For recycled wood, have you tried the Habitat store? There's one in E. Bremerton and another in Belfair. I'm sure there are others but I don't know the locations specifically.
There's a Habitat store in Port Townsend, also. But the better bet for used wood is Wast Not Want Not in Port Townsend. They sell recycled/used/etc building goods. Also, the Port of Port Townsend has an area where folks will leave wood they're done with. It's unlikely to be very full right now, considering the weather and all that... but if you're heading this way to check out the other stores it's worth a peek.

Well..............................we have been nailing down Hickory 3/4" flooring in the living/dinning/kitchen for the last 2 days.......and let me tell ya how my ham strings feel.....oh and what about my kneesles ??????????????????

BUTTT...the floor looks gorgeous and has to be done ASAP cuz the appliances are due TUESDAY!
We may be IN BY CHRISTMAS after all!

That said, the heat pump in the house is AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That and the gravity fed cold water we have here in the cabin is FROZEN.
The new 2000 gal tanks and pumphouse feeding the house are FINE...all enclosed and snuggly warm.........................
The coops here are bordering on about 32 degrees..............the water IN the coops was glassed over lightly with ice...and the low outside here was 17...............NO standard comb birds had any sign of frostbite, so I am happy about this.
I must say, I do not recall EVER having such dry cold weather in NOV & DEC....................usually we have this clear, dry super cold weather in January....so that is strange !
Gotta go...my ham strings hurt so bad it hurts to SIT DOWN>>>>LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!
lau.gif

Hey there CL
frow.gif
, it hasn't been this cold at this time of year since 1972, the year I was born
ep.gif

8º here around midnight. I'm so happy it clouded up like I wished. It was 19º this morning. Birds are fine. Well house heater didn't work Friday night and it froze so we woke to no water. I messed with it and it's fine now. We have water this morning. Chicken water gets put in gallon jugs by the woodstove the night before.

Back
Top Bottom