Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Mine think it's funny when I do it and come watch me with weird looks on their faces.
i'm glad I'm not the only one! Sing with the dogs too. We have regular sings so it doesn't take much to get them going especially the GSD.:D

It took me almost a month of howling to get my Aussie mix to talk. He will speak on command now. My gsd knows what I'm asking, but she will only speak if she is jealous of the attention I'm giving the boy when asking him to talk.

Hey all,
I hope you are enjoying our beautiful winter sun! We love Washington! I know a lot of people think it always rains here but that isn't true.

We have 24 hens and one rooster. Just trying to live the life.

K

Hey all,
I hope you are enjoying our beautiful winter sun! We love Washington! I know a lot of people think it always rains here but that isn't true.

We have 24 hens and one rooster. Just trying to live the life.

K
welcome-byc.gif
I would much rather be here in the pacific northwest then say... anywhere else in the country since the rest of the country is in either a drought or buried with ice and snow
tongue2.gif

Howdy folks! I'm fairly new here, but interested in muscovy ducks. Is anyone around who may want to offload a few somewhere around next month?
I don't currently have any available but am planning on doing a hatch of muscovies this spring. Message me if you're interested.
They of course would be straight run. I only have one other person that wants some.
I live in North Tacoma (defiance area near the zoo)

Ok so who started this rumor that silkies sit on the ground and dont roost? I keep reading this all over BYC in various threads. I have a single silkie who roosts with the rest of the birds, and I know a few folks who breed silkies and they all say their silkies roost as well. I am starting to wonder if silkie owners who say that silkies wont roost is becuase they have their roosts too high or didnt even bother to offer them roosts at all.

Ok so who started this rumor that silkies sit on the ground and dont roost? I keep reading this all over BYC in various threads. I have a single silkie who roosts with the rest of the birds, and I know a few folks who breed silkies and they all say their silkies roost as well. I am starting to wonder if silkie owners who say that silkies wont roost is becuase they have their roosts too high or didnt even bother to offer them roosts at all.

I have a friend with Silkies and often have the hens hatch eggs from other breeds. One of the Silkies hens went thru an elaborate routine to teach the chicks how to get up onto the roost. She would get onto the perch and coax them up, then push them off and make them jump up again until they would jump up onto the perch without her having to coax them any more. That's the ONLY time she ever got up onto the perch. They went on to become nice normal chickens, she continued sleeping with the other silkies in a pile on the ground.

My hatchery silkies roosted just fine. One of the hens was head hen even over the large fowl EEs, rocks, and brahmas. The silkies I have now will not roost. I've offered roosts that are only a few inches off the ground even. The LF chicks they have mothered roost just fine, but the mama silkie would get upset about them being up there. They just prefer to sleep snuggled with each other. They will play on the lower branches I have though the fencing. Come night they head to the pile. My silly birds will also give up the house they've been sleeping in so that the broody in the separate house isn't alone.

If I make a very wide platform that they can pile on, they will go up on that and sleep. It doesn't seem to be a height issue if they can find a way up. I have several LF that prefer having a platform instead of roost as well.

Back
Top Bottom