Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

gotta go back to Maui every year cuz our medical works only there .. takes 6 weeks to three months to get in to see them all; hubby wants to travel in retirement so we spend probably 2/3 of the year on the mainland, eventually we will probably return to Maui full time ... one son in Washington (takes care of this place full time), one in Oregon, one on Kauai ... granddaughter and DIL in Kennewick

Oh ok. We haven't been back home much since we left in 2000. Maybe 2 or 3 times. Just too expensive to go home for the 7 of us and then we don't want to come back when we are there. Plus we seems to have more allergies/sicknesses when we come back to Washington after our visits. My family says it's the ultimate form of homesickness lol.

Hubs and I were there and didn't get sick, luckily. I guess we know who has the better bio-security, huh???
lau.gif

I hope all of you are feeling much better now. And I really do feel bad that you got sick.
You are so lucky !
Cuz I spied you across the arena...and went heading for you but I was intercepted !
When I looked back, you were gone !
Otherwise you would have gotten the hug of influenza also !!

gig.gif

when you are checking for coop material -- quite a few storage sheds or playhouses or even doghouses wind up on Craigslist or Freecycle -- think also about repurposing windows, shower/tub doors, and sliding glass doors (we used one for a run entrance) ... garage sales in rural areas often yield fencing materials ... check with lumberyards/hardware stores who utilize outdoor storage -- you might get a deal on broken or warped materials that usual builders can't use ... another possibility is the "junk pile" behind large-equipment stores or appliance dealers .. which reminds me, I was going to look there for a broken dishwasher, turned upside down that might make a reasonable temporary quarantine coop when I get new hens ... definitely predator-proof, yet ventilated ...

Thanks for the info! I'll have to tell my son about it and see what he thinks. Course, I would imagine that we need show quality birds for this - and I doubt that ours are. Maybe it'll be a future endeavor. Is there a typical age range for the kids that participate? Sorry to be asking you so many questions - I could probably just contact the 4H myself and ask them.
tongue2.gif

Don't worry about the questions!! If I can give you a good answer I will, otherwise I'll remain silent, lol! :)

Any age up to the age of 18 can participate. When you graduate high school is usually when you're 'graduating' from 4-H.

About the 'show quality:' I don't necessarily think you have to have show quality animals to participate. I believe everyone needs to start somewhere and starting with a backyard bird is perfect! When showing horses in 4-H, many of us didn't have 'show quality' but we still competed, and won at times! It's all up to the show-er. If you're in it to win it then yes, show quality is a must but if you want to have fun, learn, grow, and work hard to achieving that show quality animal then start with what you have. Plus, once you're 'in' you make so many connections that you might find that perfect 'show quality' bird in no time! :) I know lots of people who didn't have horses when they joined our 4-H club. It was through time and networking that they were able to get a good partner (horse).

Last week I decided to ditch the idea of getting a Light Brahama and get a Welsummer instead. 1) Because of the dark eggs the Wel will lay and 2) Because the only place there were going to have LBs was just too far for me to get to during my day. Well, I have my local feed store on my FB feed and today I see that they ended up getting in LBs.
ep.gif
It took all my will power not to drive there after dropping my son off at preschool and pick up 1 or 2. I'm not sure I'll be able to resist when I go back out to pick him up from preschool. LoL!! I keep trying to tell myself that DH won't be happy. We are already at 10 when we originally decided 8. If that # jumped to 12.... Plus I'm not really sure how many full sized hens my coop will hold. While I do have plans for converting our shed into a much larger coop in the distant future (at least not for a year or 2), right now I just have a coop that is 7'6"Lx5'Hx3'D which is enclosed on all sides except the front which is half a screen (for ventilation) and the bottom half is open to the run (which is a completely enclosed area 14'Wx30'Lx6'H).

It probably doesn't help that I spend my free time on BYC and much of that looking at the cute pictures of baby chicks.

PS: And I totally get that posting this is like an alcoholic talking to drunks at a bar about what's on tap. LoL!!

Last week I decided to ditch the idea of getting a Light Brahama and get a Welsummer instead. 1) Because of the dark eggs the Wel will lay and 2) Because the only place there were going to have LBs was just too far for me to get to during my day. Well, I have my local feed store on my FB feed and today I see that they ended up getting in LBs.
ep.gif
It took all my will power not to drive there after dropping my son off at preschool and pick up 1 or 2. I'm not sure I'll be able to resist when I go back out to pick him up from preschool. LoL!! I keep trying to tell myself that DH won't be happy. We are already at 10 when we originally decided 8. If that # jumped to 12.... Plus I'm not really sure how many full sized hens my coop will hold. While I do have plans for converting our shed into a much larger coop in the distant future (at least not for a year or 2), right now I just have a coop that is 7'6"Lx5'Hx3'D which is enclosed on all sides except the front which is half a screen (for ventilation) and the bottom half is open to the run (which is a completely enclosed area 14'Wx30'Lx6'H).

It probably doesn't help that I spend my free time on BYC and much of that looking at the cute pictures of baby chicks.

PS: And I totally get that posting this is like an alcoholic talking to drunks at a bar about what's on tap. LoL!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom