Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My wife and I live in Kitsap County! Hello fellow Washitonian chicken farmers : )

We have been looking for one hen or pullet Golden Chuckoo Maran to add to our backyard flock of 8. We do not have any equipment for hatching. So does anyone out there have one hen or pullet they would be willing to part with. I am willing to drive up to 2 hours away to get one.

Hi and welcome to the group, I'm in Kitsap too. What breeds are your other 8? I have a friend that hatched some GC Marans (always use the 's' whether it's one or many) in May, which reminds me I need to see how those littles are doing.

My wife and I live in Kitsap County! Hello fellow Washitonian chicken farmers : )

We have been looking for one hen or pullet Golden Chuckoo Maran to add to our backyard flock of 8. We do not have any equipment for hatching. So does anyone out there have one hen or pullet they would be willing to part with. I am willing to drive up to 2 hours away to get one.

Welcome!

Welcome!

welcome-byc.gif

From the local feed store we have 1 Australorp (might be laying), 1 Bantam Wyandotte (not laying yet), and 2 Production Reds (not laying yet but are showing signs they might start soon). We got these ones on April 4 and I would guess most were under a week old.

From a co-workers backyard mutts we have 3 that look like Australorp (at least one of these is laying) and 1 Barred Rock (not laying). We got these ones on April 5 ranging in age from day old chicks up to about 2 weeks old. Most of the 2 week olds turned out to be roos!

so most of these are between 20 and 22 weeks old.

Thanks for the great info Ranier, my hens were all hatched in the first and second weeks of April, so they are are closer to 18ish week....I have 2 australorps, 1americauna, 1 speckled Sussex, 1 Orpington, 1 barred rock, 1 copper maran, 1 Cochin, 1 buff brahma and 1 ameraucana rooster. Until today, I also a a cute bantam frizzle roo, but he was getting quite aggressive, so he just went to a new home with older hens to show him the ropes!! Hoping in a mother 2 weeks or so, I may have a egg show up!!

While I don't know enough about chickens to know what could influence odds of gender - their sex determining chromosomes are different from mammals who have XY. Chickens have ZW sex determining chromosomes and it is the hen(ZW) and not the rooster(ZZ) who determines gender of the offspring.

Interesting. I never knew this. Might try a project and see if you can get more hens out by not breeding hens that tend to hatch a lot of boys.

Thanks for the great info Ranier, my hens were all hatched in the first and second weeks of April, so they are are closer to 18ish week....I have 2 australorps, 1americauna, 1 speckled Sussex, 1 Orpington, 1 barred rock, 1 copper maran, 1 Cochin, 1 buff brahma and 1 ameraucana rooster. Until today, I also a a cute bantam frizzle roo, but he was getting quite aggressive, so he just went to a new home with older hens to show him the ropes!! Hoping in a mother 2 weeks or so, I may have a egg show up!!

My daughter gathers the eggs and really pays attention to the birds. Here is her two cents:

"The ones that are laying are the Australorpe from the hatchery and one of the mutt looking Australorpe's from chick dude (co-worker who has a bunch of chickens). One of the Red's (hatchery) just started to lay in the last couple of days."

The hatchery chicks where under a week when we got them on April 4th and chick dude's were hatched on April 5th.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the group, I'm in Kitsap too. What breeds are your other 8? I have a friend that hatched some GC Marans (always use the 's' whether it's one or many) in May, which reminds me I need to see how those littles are doing.

Below is a link to the coop we just finished and posted 2 days ago. The names and breeds of our chickens are at the bottom of the post : ) We have 7 different breeds out of our 8 flock.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-strange-coop

Please let me know how your friends GCM are doing. If they are local to Kitsap County, I would love to come by if allowed to see them in person!

Back
Top Bottom