Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote:
Im in the same boat JB -- I think I have more than 60 and less than 80, but I'm not sure.

You guys be careful with that chicken math! I still feel bad for the people I bought our chicken tractor from. They live on a small neighborhood lot, started out with 5, then chicken math took over. They got in trouble with the city and all coops & chickens were required to be removed ASAP. We asked how many they had, and they didn't know. They sold them off to multiple people. The only # she could remember was one guy buying 40. The area the chickens were in was not much bigger than the area my kid's swing set is in. That was a bit shocking for us to hear. We couldn't imagine more than just a few living in our entire back yard, let alone in one corner of it.

I have 4 acres :)

I figured you'd probably be OK living on the East side. :) We city slickers, with strict poultry laws, have to watch our P's and Q's. I'm still hoping no one discovers that I'm currently one bird over limit, or that 4 of my 7 are more than likely little roos.
sad.png
Ha! Ha! And... I'm considering bringing in a couple of pullets before getting rid of the babies. We'll have to see... DH wants to hatch again. Hatching a 2nd time before getting rid of the babies would REALLY bring us over our limit of 6.
gig.gif

I can have 999 birds before I have to worry :)

Hmm.... I think I should build another coop ...

I can tell you your problem ! First of all Females DON'T like to be told what to do
somad.gif
you should know that
bow.gif
and you don't yell fall in, you yell bak, bak,bak,bak. thats what I do and they all gather at my feet and follow me to the run. I have to be careful I don't step on their feet. My oldest girl (a RIR) is always in the lead ahead of me. once they are in the run they get a treat. usually sunflower seeds. then I count them . I count the white ones first and then the colored ones
D.gif
thats how ya do it
thumbsup.gif
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ....an expert !
big_smile.png

Quote:
I can have 999 birds before I have to worry :)

Hmm.... I think I should build another coop ...

I have 3 girls and 4 boys (that I can't keep). I have one finished coop with run. A PVC chicken tractor. A new little chicken tractor with small coop attached. And I'm building a 2nd LF coop. I think I've been hit with coop math.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Too busy lately to keep up very well, but I try to skim when I have a few. I hope everyone (and their families and chooks) are doing well!
For Justahannah, I had logged out but you got me thinking and had to come back to say something about dogs. My little Bella (Welsh Corgi) is an exciting, full of energy dog, not yappy, stuck to my side like glue, doesn't miss anything dog. She is soooo much fun. But we also have a yellow lab, Dozer. Compared to Bella, I guess you can say he lacks in personality. Likes to take lots of naps and can't be outside too long in the winter or his teeth will chatter! LOL. But I have to say, my Doe is also the best companion in the world. He loves his Momma. Where Bella will be outside running around expending energy, Doe will be keeping a watchful eye out. If I am teary he will stay beside me and lick my tears and if he thinks I am threatened, well watch out! He may be taking a nap but as soon as he hears a sob he is right there. He is such an old soul even though young. I guess it just depends on what you need. I have the best of both worlds with Bella and Dozer. Right now, I can't imagine life without either one of them.

Thanks for that! Corgis are the only small dog I'd make an exception for, and while I don't love labs, I'm not totally against the breed (especially in a mixed pup!). Mostly it's a matter of wanting to figure her out in regards to potential size, activity level, and prey drive. Size isn't a huge factor, but my husband doesn't want a small breed and I don't want a giant. We're both fairly busy with school and work, but also spend a lot of time in the yard and out hiking around the Sound...so a moderately active, intelligent dog that can happily be mellow a good portion of the time without being completely lazy would fit best. Prey drive is my largest concern because besides chickens, we have cats and ferrets so I don't want a dog that will consider the other animals as prey or squeaky toys, and if she's protective of them, that would be ideal. I know any dog, and especially a mutt, isn't going to fit into cookie-cutter breed traits, but it can at least give me an inkling of what we're in for if we choose to take her in. We'll have to train her as well as be trained into good dog owners since they're about the only animal I don't have a lot of experience with... I can be flexible, but I don't want to jump in completely ignorant and make a bad choice for her or for us.
Well, news (FINALLY !) from the bank, and all paperwork is done, appraisals fantastic, everything looks fantastic, and "it" is at the underwriters, so I expect loan to be signed within the week...and hopefully we can get the contractor on the roof/trusses ASAP....I see almost a week with no rain next week which may be the last rain break we get.......................
th.gif

Since I was on the waiting list to get in to see the Allergist, they called yesterday & asked could I make it by 11 ?
So we hauled buns & got there just in time, and went screamin back here to keep the appoinments we had here......................feed run, egg & duck buyers showing up, etc.

Now my next appoinment for actual testing is Nov 20...bumped up yet again from Dec 20th !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully we get all the testing done before the end of the year !!!
fl.gif

Did anyone start a swap thread for this upcoming show ? IF SO please PM me.
I have 2 quads of Black javas, and a 4 mo old Midget Bronze TOM tukey that need to go.
Also a few partridge Chantecler/ 1 cockerel & some hens & some chicks.
Congrats!

Get-together Postponed

Due to the unavailability of so many of you on a weekday, and the fact that I seem to be coming down with "something", I am regretfully postponing our get together for Thursday (tomorrow).

As soon as I can find a weekend day that works for more than two people, I shall post an updated invitation here.

Now back to that nice, warm bed.

I'm sorry you don't feel well! But I am glad the date's changing because I wasn't going to be able to make it this week...flying to Cali for the Western Society of Naturalists convention, I get to present some UW research this year for my senior project. Should be fun in an educational way, but I suspect talking chickens with this lively bunch will be awesome as well.
Quote: Awesome find, I love Craigslist too!

DH is still holding out hope that one or two of the babies we (he) hatched are girls. What are the chances of having a pretty accurate "boy" or "girl" assigned to our little babies a day or two prior to the show? They will be 5 weeks old the weekend of the show.

Honestly, I would be surprised if any of them are girls. Latte - maybe - because s/he is so tiny and is showing next to no comb growth - if a girl could be reddish brown with a black head. I'm guessing unlikely, though, am I right? S/he's feathering slow, too.

DH is still holding out hope that one or two of the babies we (he) hatched are girls. What are the chances of having a pretty accurate "boy" or "girl" assigned to our little babies a day or two prior to the show? They will be 5 weeks old the weekend of the show.

Honestly, I would be surprised if any of them are girls. Latte - maybe - because s/he is so tiny and is showing next to no comb growth - if a girl could be reddish brown with a black head. I'm guessing unlikely, though, am I right? S/he's feathering slow, too.

Do you have any pics from this week? My sex-link still has some down poking through her neck and shoulders at 8 weeks, my EE's finally have none. It stinks now that it gets dark early, sleeping during the day has it's drawback. I hope to get some updated pics this weekend.
big_smile.png

However much you'd like to dig. Little bit or a lot, it's up to you. I have about 8 long planters that I'd like to line with the moss - so if you want to get rid of a lot, I'll take it.. Thank you so much! Yes, I will be in Chehalis.
I have 8+ acres of primarily old growth so you tell me! Also, please remind me closer to show-time because I forget things very easily.

Back
Top Bottom