Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hello, new to this thread. Haven't had time to look through the many many pages here.

I'm in a dilemma. We need to let a chick go to a good home.
We have given her electrolytes during her first couple days here because they got chilled and it was a long drive home, saline rinses on her eye because of crusty eye lids, VetRx treatments, and tetracycline for antibiotics. Raw Apple Cider Vinager in her water when she wasn't on antibiotics. She's been on antibiotics for almost a week again because of the same weepy eye. This is her second round of antibiotics. She has had issues with this eye since the morning after we got her. She seems to be a little better and I will keep her on antibiotics till the end of the day Friday. She has no other symptoms at all. She is 4.5 weeks old. None of my other chicks are sick or show any signs of illness. It may just be a tear duct issue. Ive talked with the local feed store professional snd there really isn't anything else to do for her and stated she may just have duct issues that might resolve in tine.
She may very well go on to live a normal chicken life. But we can no longer invest more time and money into 1 chick. We had purchased 6 chicks knowing about mortality rates and the possibility of a roo. PLEASE let me know if you know anyone willing to take her in. We live not far from Vancouver , WA.
I would cull the chick as well.

Ok I have a interesting one in my book anyway- 2 of my misfit girls sisters the "twins" as I call them Marylene and Rosylene both are Broody, but not broody- they are going through the motions: clucking, puffing, "don't touch me" mood but don't brood in their box- they still come out and do their thing like usual- anyone ever have birds that do this- for us it's defiantly a first with our hens- they are cross between a Polish and Cochin if that would affect the behavior
Are they laying ?
If they are not laying, look for a bald breast on them, if they are not laying, and they are bald, they are broody.
And yes, it is a trait with Cochins...when they go broody sometimes 2 or 3 "sister" hens will squeeze in the broody's nest and steal or KILL the broodie's hatchlings.
IF 1 is broody, isolate her with some eggs, but do not leave her with a general group, cuz the other hens may present a threat...be careful, some Mommas can be very jealous !

Hi y'all!
New to this thread! Just moved here in March! Coming from Oregon!
1f423.png
1f424.png
welcome-byc.gif
Hey Sarah !!!! Welcome to the WA thread !!
What part of OR you from ?

I thought I posted a picture ther of it, must not have : / I am more active on the FB page then here. Its easier : P

Thank you for the compiment too : )

Covering our pen is not an option, due to its location next to our garage. It would look horrible if we covered it. If airborn redators come, we will deal with that when it happens.
maybe you posted on the BYC FB page, not the WA FB page, which is secret
wink.png

I need to get a hold of Lyn and see about getting some eggs from her as well. I need more genetic diversity for later generations. Lyn has very nice egg color on her girls as well. I've got a couple that lay lighter shades of blue, but I like the darker that the others lay.

I had to kick the EE and her little 8 week old hatchery pullets out of the pen before I moved the ameraucana into there. Angel is probably the only hen I could get away with moving and giving chicks to in the same night. She's just so trusting and laid back. The EE and her brood went into the layer pen. After a bit of confusion on the chicks part of where to go to bed, it was all fine. The mother acted like she'd never left the pen. Second night in there and the chicks put themselves up on the roost with her. I love my flock. No bullying of the chicks at all. Worst thing was the younger rooster constantly wing dancing around the mama until I went and grabbed the older rooster and put him where he could see what was going on. He took care of that issue since he's such a good boy. He'll die from old age. I couldn't ask for a nicer boy, but he's Angel's brother and has the same sweet temperament.
I have a meet up with Lyn @17th~ in Tacoma, exchanging Biel & Am babies................then from there I go to Monroe (same day) and then come back to Raymond...anyone need anything pick up/drop off........let me/us know !

Nice dark net doesn't look to bad. Black doesn't stand out. I use thick aviary netting. I've had hens land on it and walk across. I have to have my pens covered though. The hens will get out if I don't. I have several EEs that can fly right over the 6ft fence without any issues.
X2.......aviary net does not show up like you think, and after the fact of protecting our birds, it is what is most important.

We had one girl that liked to fly a bit too high when she was a pullet.  We ended up clipping one wing on two or three birds primarily so they would never really figure out they were able to fly out.  It seemed to work fine because after they molted and grew those feather back in all was well. 

Yes predators can get in, but that's the risk we take when they go into the "back 40".   I do all kinds of crazy things like that!  I drive in cars, ride in planes, and ride a bike without a helmet.  Life is filled with risk every day for all of us. 

(Tongue-in-cheek.  Not trying to be nasty, just feeling a little fiesty this morning @ochochicas

Hehe Carolyn ; P

Worst predator we have seen was a bald eagle in our pine trees in the backyard. That was three years ago, and before we limbed them 25' up. And the racoons got sick of being shot at by a pellet rifle 2 years ago. Havnt seen any predators since. Our cat is very territorial.

You seen any big predators in the past few years?

We get a few raccoons every year but so far no attacks. We also have red tail hawks, there was one on the fence last month and one in the neighbor's big fir a couple days ago. The scariest was 2 springs ago when I was sitting with the chicks in front of the French doors. I looked up to see the talons of a hawk coming at me. Luckily it came to a screeching stop before it hit the glass. Then there's rats and neighbors dogs. We do what we can but have to be realistic.

Are they laying ?
If they are not laying, look for a bald breast on them, if they are not laying, and they are bald, they are broody.
And yes, it is a trait with Cochins...when they go broody sometimes 2 or 3 "sister" hens will squeeze in the broody's nest and steal or KILL the broodie's hatchlings.
IF 1 is broody, isolate her with some eggs, but do not leave her with a general group, cuz the other hens may present a threat...be careful, some Mommas can be very jealous !

We have girls who are full broody at the moment - but what's got me baffled is that the twins are doing the "broody" signs,even lost feathers on the belly...but aren't nesting,nor laying... they're going through all the motions... cutesy clucking as I call it, fluffing up and puffing out... the "don't touch me" squawk they do when you try to touch them, or another bird gets near them noise... but neither of them have been setting in he nesting box to even hatch air or laying a egg.... they walk around with everyone in their normal routine of foraging... but not trying to hatch anything out. It's rather strange for sure.

Back
Top Bottom