Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I got some of those gamma seal bucket lids. They are wonderful! It is so hard for me to get the lids off those plastic buckets that I keep the feed in. But now it is easy. I highly recommend them.

They make a c-handle type lid opener for 5 gallon buckets. Taps plastics in Seattle is where i bought mine. think it was 2-3 dollars….i finally had to get one …..

I have a nice heavy plastic C lid opener that has a mallet head on the back for reclosing them. I did go with gamma lids for things I get into a lot since they are quicker and easier. Got Mom a bunch of the gamma lids since she can't handle regular lids at all anymore.

This is my first post, so hello! New to Washington, new to chickens. We just bought 3 acres in Centralia in August. My chicks arrive mid March and I'm so excited!
I'm looking for region specific information about predators. Anyone?
I'm originally from Phoenix, AZ. Which is not a very useful background.
1f413.png

This is my first post, so hello! New to Washington, new to chickens. We just bought 3 acres in Centralia in August. My chicks arrive mid March and I'm so excited!
I'm looking for region specific information about predators. Anyone?
I'm originally from Phoenix, AZ. Which is not a very useful background.
1f413.png
Bears, mountain lions, bobcats, foxes, coyotes, eagles, hawks, owls, martins, weasels, raccoons, and stray dogs...so basically every known chicken predator in North America. A secure coop for nighttime hours is essential.

Yup I've lost them to hawks, weasels, opossum, coyotes, and dogs. The bear and cougar that are seen around here haven't been an issue. And the eagles that frequent the pond only go for the ducks and geese on the pond since the chickens are harder targets.

I've lost to dogs, coyotes, raccoon, and had a bear rip the top off my small coop. I run 6'chain link with a direct current hot wire. I havnt lost anything while inside that set up, just when I've let them out at this house.

Ugh, lost my favorite hen to a coyote today. Teach me to let them out of their pen! Snatched my buff silkie and tore the fluffy butt feathers out of one of my big hens. I doused her with betadine,but wound wasn't bad so I'm sure she will be okay. Super bummed about Johnnie-bird though. I just put her last egg in the incubator, but am a little concerned that it will be crossed woth my barred rock rooster, not my showgirl, lol. My luck it will be a BR silkie cockrel that hatches!
I always have Jack out when my birds are out of their pens.
Jack is flock guardian, it is his job and he knows it. He sleeps in the barn with the brooders and baby chicks...he knows and the chickens know he knows.
He is so good at his job by 3 yrs of age, that I watched him actually watch the sky!!!
When he barks, all the chickens disapear !
COOL>>>flock guardians are so awesome !!

This is Jack's house, the hatchery, and he loves his house......
big_smile.png
and he loves his babies.

Back
Top Bottom