Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

this Dunlap is Idaho ? hey got bit by a silky this morning went up with the rest of the marans eggs from the hova bator moved one Slime to another nest but when I did that
mud bit me while my had was in there :gig

Yes they are in Caldwell Idaho. So you have a killer silky I thought they were all sweet and nice. I have a broody australorp that used to be nasty but now when she is broody like now I can pet her move her what ever and she doesn’t peck or anything.

Broody silkies can be unpredictable. I have one in particular that will aggressively attack if she has chicks. I do mean aggressive. Made the mistake of going in her pen wearing sandals one summer when her and another hen were raising chicks. I have a scar on my toe from the bite.

Well after working with the chicks all day yesterday still ended up with 18 dead out of 37 what a bummer. I called Dunlap hatchery this morning and no questions asked they are going to reship the order next week. I don’t know what happened but even the live chicks were cold to the touch yesterday when I was taking them out of the box. Lost 6 more last night they are part of the total lost but there were around 10 of them I was working with yesterday that were not doing well so I guess I saved a few of them.

Good to hear they will replace !
Also good to hear you are able to save some of the chicks !

if I have 1 more day like today get my bulbs planted nothing here as of yet when I see the mint next to the pumphouse sprout i can plant seeds outside

I caved and got a long window box-like planter and planted it full of basil, so now there is 2 full of basil.
Nothing smells so good when you lift the hot frame lid !
The hot frame is a plywood box, slanted to catch the sun like a cold frame, but taller, and sided with 1/2" styrofoam, and in the bottom is coils of pipe heat "tape" (ribbon, cable) and it is connected to a wafer thermometer, so I can adjust how much heat I want in there.
The pipe tape (ribbon, cable) is then weighed down or use big barb wire staples carefully staple down & cover with pea gravel.
careful not to nick the heat tape, any nicks and it is useless, it will ground out.
The top is a double layered polycarbon lid & I invested in an auto opening arm, so when the sun comes in & it gets HOT in there fast, it opens quickly, and closes when it is cooler.
I can grow basil in the snow, with this. I love it !
Need to make another one for my Dad !
The old one was an experiment & worked great but we tweaked a few things and have new models now
This design works great for a chick brooder too! In the barn of course, not out in the yard, and with just a hardware wire cover on top to keep the youngin's from popping out of the tub
We don't make them out of OSB anymore !! :sick
The old design:
hot frame 002.jpg

Well after working with the chicks all day yesterday still ended up with 18 dead out of 37 what a bummer. I called Dunlap hatchery this morning and no questions asked they are going to reship the order next week. I don’t know what happened but even the live chicks were cold to the touch yesterday when I was taking them out of the box. Lost 6 more last night they are part of the total lost but there were around 10 of them I was working with yesterday that were not doing well so I guess I saved a few of them.
I’m glad they agreed to replace them all. I have talked to the Dunlap hatchery and they seem nice. They answer questions well. One of the feed stores locally gets chicks from them.

Well after all was done I ended up with 15 cornish cross out of 30 plus all the sexlink chicks died. One of the Cornish x has a bad leg so I just called it a loss also and told the hatchery it was dead also. They will reship on Wednesday. I would like to get a hold of that postal idiot that mistreated these chicks. The people at the little post office called me at 7:30 am they don’t open till 8 in the morning they are real nice people it was the stupid driver that let them get so cold.

Back
Top Bottom