Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

OK, it's been almost a week, about time I had better photos, right? Although this one was taken under a big CFL and even color-corrected is a little ooky:

This one is flash, and better for color, but the tape measure is out of focus (someone elsewhere asked me how big they were).

Quote:

Are all the chickens in this pen little like the Silkies? I'd really like to add some Silkies to our flock but have been told not to keep them w/LF.
If you raise them from chicks together they are fine. Adding them to a LF flock is not a good idea. They can be more fragile than most chickens and they tend to get picked on. You have to keep them dry and they get mites and lice easily. But they are so darned cute! I love them! But they should be kept in seperate coops if they haven't been raised together. JMHO
big_smile.png

Thanks for the info. I almost brought a couple home from the show, I'm glad I decided to hold off. We don't really have the set up for them....at least not yet anyway.
wink.png

Quote:

Are all the chickens in this pen little like the Silkies? I'd really like to add some Silkies to our flock but have been told not to keep them w/LF.
If you raise them from chicks together they are fine. Adding them to a LF flock is not a good idea. They can be more fragile than most chickens and they tend to get picked on. You have to keep them dry and they get mites and lice easily. But they are so darned cute! I love them! But they should be kept in seperate coops if they haven't been raised together. JMHO
big_smile.png

Those are my juvenile EE chicks in there. I think they're 12 weeks now. I've raised all the birds I got as chicks with silkies so there is no issues for me. These silkies however prefer their own coop and run. We're going to be building them a new house soon. The hatchery silkies I had before roosted with the EEs and were fairly high in the pecking order. One was top bird until she went broody and spaztastic. The father of chicks is from a cross of a silkie rooster and EE hen.

Thanks for this. Maybe someday we will have a coop and run just for them but until then, I will only be able to live vicariously through all of the BYC Silkie peeps!

Quote:
She is gorgeous and I want one!! Lol

Quote: I will PM

Are you ok?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm not able to be on much - the holiday season is our crazy season, especially since my son's B-day is early in December.

Update on us:

6 BCM and 6 OE eggs are doing well in the incubator. We haven't candled, and I doubt we will. I'll probably check them by weight this time around - unless DH decides he could use a high powered LED flashlight.

The 4 chicks are doing well, getting big and stinky. I think we're moving their little butts to the garage this weekend. The chirping in the house has been fun, but, even though I scoop the sand 3x/day - they still stink! We've let them out, one at a time to walk around the living room. That's kinda funny. Yesterday I took Blackie into the kitchen with me and let him walk around on the floor - I think he may have tried to crow. He made the funniest sound trying to figure out where the others were. Uh, oh! Cocoa and Rocha are both becomming pretty agressive with each other. I think they're going to be the first to go - we'll probably take them to the auction on December 1 when they will be almost 7 weeks old. They are very well feathered already, but I'll give them a couple more weeks to grow in more feathers before letting them go to a home where I'll have no idea if they'll be on lights or not. They are cute as the dickens with their fluffy faces, but they just go at each other too much. If they don't calm down between now and Dec 1, they'll have to go.

DH caught the first rat in the largest rat snap trap inside my greenhouse. That thing was about 2x the size as the one I saw run out of the greenhouse the other day. Now I'm REALLY nervous to touch that bale of hay! We have 2 snap traps, 2 sticky traps and 1 bait box in there - hopefully we'll be able to erradicate the nest quickly. Sadly, we won't be able to use the greenhouse with the chicks for certain now, unless we physically move it. It was such a wonderful, warm outdoor play space on dry days for the little boys.

We'll I'm going back to watch the parade. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Sorry to hear your little guys are being so naughty!!

Congrats on catching the nasty rat!! Eeewww! We either have rats or a weasel, I'm not sure which. Will rats attack older chicks?

Quote:
Ohhh goodness! Glad they are all accounted for! Yikes!

Quote:
X's 2!!

I'm really sad. One thing led to another and we got home late last night from Thanksgiving dinner, just about 8:30.

The first thing I saw when pulling in our driveway was a big grey cat walking in our yard.

I ran out back to the chickens - and the coop door had somehow got knocked closed before everyone went to bed. So instead of a few birds in the trees- all the birds were in trees.

I fished them all out except Frodo - I could not find her anywhere. She has escaped me and spent the night in the trees before.

I called her this morning - no show.

Still nothing. I've combed the yard and not found any evidence - but it does not look good for our poor little Frodo. I am so sad.
hit.gif

Oh no! That's terrible!! I hope your little Frodo comes home soon!!
hugs.gif

Was having a super bad day since had to cancel work on the Tunnel due to the pouring rain never mind all the other things on my list. I decided to run errands and completely spaced it that it was BLACK FRIDAY, which I NEVER do. What a bunch of crazys out there! 'God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy'! Needed to go to Wilco for some farm supplies. I desperately needed jeans and I had been looking online for some kind of discount on my favorite Carhartts with no luck. While at Wilco ended up wandering into the apparel section and SCORED on some really cute cowgirl jeans (much cuter than my favs!) for half off the sale price so much cheaper too! I guess Black Friday wasn't so bad after all. The farm supplies will have to wait. A girls got priorities ya know.

Glad everyone had a great Thanksgiving and dawng, hope your Frodo shows up. :(

Awww dang it!! I didn't even think to go there today!! I love, love, love some of the jeans they have but they are all like $100 and I just can't bring myself to spend that kinda cash on 1 pair of pants!! But a sale on those babies would've made my day! Shucks! Well, at least you scored!
highfive.gif

Had to put a saddle on one of my BO's just now, she is getting a good bare spot from "Pig Pen" lovin on her too much. She got me though, scratched my forearm and pooped all over my lap. Yay. I caught her bare spot early enough she will prolly only need to be in it for 3-4 weeks. So now I have a BO and BR(the one that had side torn from mating) in saddles. My broody BR didn't need hers so I took hers off a couple of weeks ago when she started going broody. Time to get some more and just put all of them in them maybe.

May I ask where one would find a saddle for a chicken?

Quote:

big_smile.png

Thanks for the info. I almost brought a couple home from the show, I'm glad I decided to hold off. We don't really have the set up for them....at least not yet anyway.
wink.png

Quote:

big_smile.png

Those are my juvenile EE chicks in there. I think they're 12 weeks now. I've raised all the birds I got as chicks with silkies so there is no issues for me. These silkies however prefer their own coop and run. We're going to be building them a new house soon. The hatchery silkies I had before roosted with the EEs and were fairly high in the pecking order. One was top bird until she went broody and spaztastic. The father of chicks is from a cross of a silkie rooster and EE hen.

Thanks for this. Maybe someday we will have a coop and run just for them but until then, I will only be able to live vicariously through all of the BYC Silkie peeps!

Quote:

Are you ok?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm not able to be on much - the holiday season is our crazy season, especially since my son's B-day is early in December.

Update on us:

6 BCM and 6 OE eggs are doing well in the incubator. We haven't candled, and I doubt we will. I'll probably check them by weight this time around - unless DH decides he could use a high powered LED flashlight.

The 4 chicks are doing well, getting big and stinky. I think we're moving their little butts to the garage this weekend. The chirping in the house has been fun, but, even though I scoop the sand 3x/day - they still stink! We've let them out, one at a time to walk around the living room. That's kinda funny. Yesterday I took Blackie into the kitchen with me and let him walk around on the floor - I think he may have tried to crow. He made the funniest sound trying to figure out where the others were. Uh, oh! Cocoa and Rocha are both becomming pretty agressive with each other. I think they're going to be the first to go - we'll probably take them to the auction on December 1 when they will be almost 7 weeks old. They are very well feathered already, but I'll give them a couple more weeks to grow in more feathers before letting them go to a home where I'll have no idea if they'll be on lights or not. They are cute as the dickens with their fluffy faces, but they just go at each other too much. If they don't calm down between now and Dec 1, they'll have to go.

DH caught the first rat in the largest rat snap trap inside my greenhouse. That thing was about 2x the size as the one I saw run out of the greenhouse the other day. Now I'm REALLY nervous to touch that bale of hay! We have 2 snap traps, 2 sticky traps and 1 bait box in there - hopefully we'll be able to erradicate the nest quickly. Sadly, we won't be able to use the greenhouse with the chicks for certain now, unless we physically move it. It was such a wonderful, warm outdoor play space on dry days for the little boys.

Congrats on catching the nasty rat!! Eeewww! We either have rats or a weasel, I'm not sure which. Will rats attack older chicks?

Quote:

Quote:
X's 2!!

I'm really sad. One thing led to another and we got home late last night from Thanksgiving dinner, just about 8:30.

The first thing I saw when pulling in our driveway was a big grey cat walking in our yard.

I ran out back to the chickens - and the coop door had somehow got knocked closed before everyone went to bed. So instead of a few birds in the trees- all the birds were in trees.

I fished them all out except Frodo - I could not find her anywhere. She has escaped me and spent the night in the trees before.

Still nothing. I've combed the yard and not found any evidence - but it does not look good for our poor little Frodo. I am so sad.
hit.gif

hugs.gif

Was having a super bad day since had to cancel work on the Tunnel due to the pouring rain never mind all the other things on my list. I decided to run errands and completely spaced it that it was BLACK FRIDAY, which I NEVER do. What a bunch of crazys out there! 'God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy'! Needed to go to Wilco for some farm supplies. I desperately needed jeans and I had been looking online for some kind of discount on my favorite Carhartts with no luck. While at Wilco ended up wandering into the apparel section and SCORED on some really cute cowgirl jeans (much cuter than my favs!) for half off the sale price so much cheaper too! I guess Black Friday wasn't so bad after all. The farm supplies will have to wait. A girls got priorities ya know.

Awww dang it!! I didn't even think to go there today!! I love, love, love some of the jeans they have but they are all like $100 and I just can't bring myself to spend that kinda cash on 1 pair of pants!! But a sale on those babies would've made my day! Shucks! Well, at least you scored!
highfive.gif

Had to put a saddle on one of my BO's just now, she is getting a good bare spot from "Pig Pen" lovin on her too much. She got me though, scratched my forearm and pooped all over my lap. Yay. I caught her bare spot early enough she will prolly only need to be in it for 3-4 weeks. So now I have a BO and BR(the one that had side torn from mating) in saddles. My broody BR didn't need hers so I took hers off a couple of weeks ago when she started going broody. Time to get some more and just put all of them in them maybe.

I ordered mine from My Pet Chicken.

Quote:

big_smile.png

wink.png

Quote:

big_smile.png

Quote:

Are you ok?

Update on us:

Quote:

Quote:
X's 2!!

hit.gif

hugs.gif

highfive.gif

I ordered mine from My Pet Chicken.
Great! Thanks! Haven't needed one yet, but I like to be prepared....before hand.

Quote:

big_smile.png

wink.png

Quote:

big_smile.png

Quote:

Are you ok?

Update on us:

Quote:

Quote:
X's 2!!

hit.gif

hugs.gif

highfive.gif

At the Ye Olde Clucker's Tact shoppe
tongue2.gif

celebrate.gif
She's Home!!
clap.gif
I'm soooo happy!

She was at the neighbor's house, and then flew to another neighbor's house, then another! I met a lot of neighbors and got very wet - but I'm SOOOO happy!

I was so depressed earlier - thank you all for your encouraging words!

One more happy dance!
wee.gif

celebrate.gif
She's Home!!
clap.gif
I'm soooo happy!

She was at the neighbor's house, and then flew to another neighbor's house, then another! I met a lot of neighbors and got very wet - but I'm SOOOO happy!

I was so depressed earlier - thank you all for your encouraging words!

One more happy dance!
wee.gif

Woohoo! Congratulations! I'm glad she made it home okay.
yippiechickie.gif

Jennifer

Back
Top Bottom